tow bar mounted cycle carreir

Sep 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, We are buying 3 bikes, and we are wanting to take them away with the caravan, my question is if i mount them on the rear of car which is a ford mondeo 2.0tdci '02, and my caravan is a swift lifestyle would i be ok for the nose weight or would i be better off putting them on the roof of car or even in caravan for travelling.

Thank you in advance

Andrew

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
You would be much better off putting them on the roof of the car. You would certainly exceed the noseweight limit of your car if you put the bikes AND the caravan on the tow hitch. Either that or the caravan would have to be so light at the hitch that it is likely to be dangerously unstable. If you mounted them on a cycle rack on the rear of the car (not on the hitch) there's a danger that the cars rear axle weight could be exceeded. Obvioulsy putting them inside the caravan has its own problems.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Andrew,

I agree with Nigel, However I had the same vehicle until last year. As I was using most/all of my noseweight allowance for the van (when hitched) I used to carry two cycles on a Pendle strap on wheel support carrier with had the added advantage of a number plate and lighting board (plugs into the T/B socket) and held the cycles in dedicated "shoes" which prevented movement. I could not go Nigels route because being of advancing years I could not lift my cycles onto my roof safely. Same goes for many others.

I agree there may be some rear axle issues but depends what weight you are loading in the boot. In my case no problems.

PS still got the Pendle if you want it cheap but it will only take 2 bikes.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts