Tow bar

Nov 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, just been reading about tow bars and didn't realise there were different types , I was thinking of fitting a retractable t.b to my mk5 mondeo estate will this type pose any problems
Chris complete novice

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Rottman,
Any Towbar that has been advertised on the market, as being compatible with your make and model of car, should not cause you any problems as long as it's fitted and wired to the manufactures instructions.
I do not know if there is a retractable version, although there will be a fixed or detachable one. My Father-in-Law has a MB GLA and they quoted him over £1.2k for a retractable, he had a detachable one fitted instead for around £400.
Regards,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure what problems you were envisaging?

There will be several different solutions for such a well known model of car. You will have to choose if it's permanent removable or retractable, but your choices may be limited if you need an Alko stabilizer compatible ball.

What ever options you choose you can rest assured that a professional fitter will only offer and fit parts that are compatible with your car.

The only other thing to consider is electrical loom to be fitted. Get an assurance from the fitter that it's fully compatible with the car, and that any car reprogramming is included.

As you have asked this on a caravan forum, make it clear you will want both the caravan's fridge and battery circuits to be powered when towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would have thought that a retractable one would involve major modifications to the vehicle that only make it a viable alternative if ordered as a factory fitted option.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I have seen a retractable one for the Mondeo but the downside of these is that they are expensive but they are easy to use and stay clean and out of the way when not in use.
The alternatives are the fixed models and detachables.
Fixed ones are the ones you will normally see sticking out the back of cars and. They are cheapest but many people do not like the appearance. They do need a cover to keep them clean and you will almost certainly bang your leg on it before you learn to remember it is there.
Detachable models have the frame for the toe bar fitted to the car but the actual ball can be removed when not needed and fastens back on quickly and securely. They cost more than a fixed one but the ball stays clean and there is no tow ball there to mar the look of the back end.
The choice depends on your finances and what you think will suit you best, Most fitting businesses will be able to offer you a choice of makes and types so take your time and see what you feel is for you.
You should also know what electric plugs you have on the caravan for connecting to the car. Older caravans have a twin system and newer ones a single 13 pin plug. The fitter will need to know which you have, although if your cars differs from the caravan you can get a convertor cheaply enough. If you do not know what caravan you are getting I would go for the single 13 pin option.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I found when researching towbars, that factory (in my case BMW) electric units had a lower noseweight capacity than fixed or detachable types. That may not of course be the case with a Mondeo, but still worth checking.

Much as I like gadgets, an electric type is a step too far. As with anything electrical, as we all know only to well, there is always the possibility of power failure (and indeed mechanical failure too). Mechanically at least, these are not the sort of devices that might readily be fixed just when you are about to set off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts