Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi, we have just got a new van after many years and need a tow bar. Has anyone used Towbar2u? They ask for full payment up front which is quite a lot. Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I see they have a very good reviews, and use local fitters to your area.
The only problem I can see is the quality of your local fitter. If you can research your local area for that fitter and see their reviews.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think google ‘towbar fitting near me’ and find some prices on line - here ‘towbar2u’ and Halfords come up in a long list. Likely you will find a huge variety of prices for exactly the same manufacture towbar.
Have you decided on the type of bar you require? witter website gives good descriptions. I’m sure others will concur with the advice of having dedicated wiring kit fitted for your specific vehicle.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The actual fitting of a towbar is not difficult job and is pretty much a DIY job. What ISNT an easy job however is getting the electrics right (decent sized cable feeding the caravans 12v supply for the fridge etc) and any ECU reprogramming that might be required.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
IF you were to attempt to do a DIY fitting, you must still use conforming parts as approved by the vehicle manufacturer. NOt only to sort out the electrics that Plod mentions, but also to ensure the assembly picks up support from the correct parts of the tow vehicles construction. You must also use the approved nuts and bolts and use a torque wrench to ensure all fixings are correctly loaded.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting the OP fits his towbar, just trying to show that is the "easy" part when compared to the electrics.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a Tow Trust one fitted at a proper workshop. I do worry about these fitter who do t in your drive cutting corners if the weather is bad.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a Tow Trust one fitted at a proper workshop. I do worry about these fitter who do t in your drive cutting corners if the weather is bad.
On a previous Santa Fe, I had a mobile fitter, to fit a Towbar and electrics for me whilst I was at work. During installation he asked my wife if I had certain tools, as he didn't have them. She said NO, she didn't have the keys to my tool box's. I have Snap on tools with the sticker "Please don't ask to borrow my tools"

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Apparently, Witter is not Witter anymore as someone bought the name, not the quality standard. Tow Trust is committed to quality products and making the best they can. At least that's my understanding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our previous Santa Fe, bought used , came with a Witter towbar which we had to hav eraised as it had dropped, so when we had to fit a towbar to new Santa Fe, we chose Tow Trust after looking at several makes, I think from memory the TT bar had higher weight rating, had no problems with it in nearly 4 years it is a fixed one.,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apparently, Witter is not Witter anymore as someone bought the name, not the quality standard. Tow Trust is committed to quality products and making the best they can. At least that's my understanding.
Witter was taken over by a US company as were Westfalia. Witter have a design facility in Deeside manufacture some products there too. Their tow bars are designed and tested to meet the various directives and are of course type approved for specific vehicle fitments. Any towbar fitted in UK will be supplied from their Deeside facility, along with Westfalia products. The technical customer support is based their too.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Witter was taken over by a US company as were Westfalia. Witter have a design facility in Deeside manufacture some products there too. Their tow bars are designed and tested to meet the various directives and are of course type approved for specific vehicle fitments. Any towbar fitted in UK will be supplied from their Deeside facility, along with Westfalia products. The technical customer support is based their too.
Given that ALL towbars sold in EU/UK have to be designed, test and Type Approved to meet all regulations and directives, it's difficult to differentiate between them.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given that ALL towbars sold in EU/UK have to be designed, test and Type Approved to meet all regulations and directives, it's difficult to differentiate between them.
I was just responding specifically to # 14 which said that the changes at Witter had not included quality standards. Which is patently untrue. The modern facilities in Deeside, and Ellesmere established by the US owner, Horizon Global, embrace Witter, Westfalia and Rhino, and give lie to the comment that only the Witter name was transferred.

“Apparently, Witter is not Witter anymore as someone bought the name, not the quality standard. Tow Trust is committed to quality products and making the best they can. At least that's my understanding.”

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve always used Witter or Brink, both fixed and detachable and never had a problems with the towbars or electrics. What is about Tow Trust that makes it one of the best?
I have had both Witter and TowTrust tow bars. The difference on a Sante Fe at least is the fact of a three bolt attachment for the cross bar to the chassis attachment.On each side. Where as the Witter had two bolts each side.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had both Witter and TowTrust tow bars. The difference on a Sante Fe at least is the fact of a three bolt attachment for the cross bar to the chassis attachment.On each side. Where as the Witter had two bolts each side.
My Witter on a Sorento had four bolts per side. It was a fixed towball. Seems as if one Santa Fe model fell short despite Type Aooroval. Have Witter subsequently sorted it out or is it still two bolts per side?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In my opinion, it's a loophole in the regulations that although towbars are required to use the car maker's attachment points, they aren't obliged to use ALL of them

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always used Witter or Brink, both fixed and detachable and never had a problems with the towbars or electrics. What is about Tow Trust that makes it one of the best?
They are tested to the same standard as other makes which suggests there is no practical difference in them. In my case the £200 difference in quotes for fitting was the deciding factor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts