Tow car advise for 1800kg+ Audi, BMW or VW

May 4, 2022
Visit site
We currently have a Volvo XC60 D5 manual towing an Elddis Avante 840 (1725kg). We are now looking at selling the Volvo and buying a bigger car. The Volvo tows the caravan fine but it is close to the 1800kg tow capacity and we want to be able to take bikes etc with us next year, so after scouring the Internet and asking questions on groups we've narrowed it down to 4 cars. Now we're stuck.
(All automatic)
Audi A6 3.0tdi allroad
Audi Q7 3.0tdi quattro
BMW X5 3.0 diesel
Volkswagen Touareg 3.0tdi
Can anyone help with some opinions or experiences with the cars listed above.
The budget will be around 16-18k which means we would need to look at 2013-2016 age cars.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We currently have a Volvo XC60 D5 manual towing an Elddis Avante 840 (1725kg). We are now looking at selling the Volvo and buying a bigger car. The Volvo tows the caravan fine but it is close to the 1800kg tow capacity and we want to be able to take bikes etc with us next year, so after scouring the Internet and asking questions on groups we've narrowed it down to 4 cars. Now we're stuck.
(All automatic)
Audi A6 3.0tdi allroad
Audi Q7 3.0tdi quattro
BMW X5 3.0 diesel
Volkswagen Touareg 3.0tdi
Can anyone help with some opinions or experiences with the cars listed above.
The budget will be around 16-18k which means we would need to look at 2013-2016 age cars.
I'd recommend the VW Touareg but I'm biased - each of those 4 models are similar but different so it depends exactly what you want.

The X5 is more sporty, the Q7 is biggest and more limousine like, the Touareg better off-road but still good on-road, the A6 a very good all-rounder.

I'd expect them all to be more than competent to tow your caravan.

Reactions: PTA
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My friend had a A6 but not the off roader, fantastic load carrier, he changed for the toureg, very similar but higher ride. I preferred the drive of the A6. Both very competent tow cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I really like estate cars as they give such flexibility for carrying stuff. Easier to put cycles or other kit on the roof. Likely to be most economical of the selection. But all are nice cars.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My choice would be the Q7 as it opens up a load of options should you consider upgrading the caravan at some point in the future. As you gather I am no longer a VW fan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I too am biased. The VW Touareg is the unsung hero here. Go for a high spec model with the 258 BHP. 428 lbs/ft Engine.
The Q7 as advised earlier is basically the same as the VW, Audi badged but with 7 seats.
I did try the Audi A6 All road. Loved it but discovered it uses the DSG auto box rather than the fluid flywheel in the others.
BMW X5. A great car until you need repairs, expensive. My 4 th choice. Good luck and let us know the final result.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I too am biased. The VW Touareg is the unsung hero here. Go for a high spec model with the 258 BHP. 428 lbs/ft Engine.
The Q7 as advised earlier is basically the same as the VW, Audi badged but with 7 seats.
I did try the Audi A6 All road. Loved it but discovered it uses the DSG auto box rather than the fluid flywheel in the others.
BMW X5. A great car until you need repairs, expensive. My 4 th choice. Good luck and let us know the final result.
Not all Q7s have 7-seats - the hybrid/electrics only have 5.

Some models of the A6 have a proper torque converter 8-speed Tiptronic transmission rather than the 7-speed S-tronic DSG box - not sure which models get which gearbox.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had torque converter, DSG, cvt and now another dual twin clutch transmission. And with the twin clutch transmission I am always aware that clutches can wear so I drive accordingly. The twin clutch ones whilst nice driving are less smooth at very slow manoeuvres than the torque converter or CVT. For towing torque converter would be my choice.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the simple answer is that all of them will make an excellent tow car so which is best for that is not the main criteria. The amount of towing we do is generally quite small in proportion to other use and what you need to look at is which will suit you best on an everyday basis. This is far more personal and only you can answer that.
My only other comment is that diesels of that age could fall fowl of the current ULEZ areas being found in many cities now and possibly the Toureg being a cheaper car might get you a compliant car more easily. I do not know where you do most of your driving but I would be dubious of a per 20016 diesel of any make given he current political climate.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think the simple answer is that all of them will make an excellent tow car so which is best for that is not the main criteria. The amount of towing we do is generally quite small in proportion to other use and what you need to look at is which will suit you best on an everyday basis. This is far more personal and only you can answer that.
My only other comment is that diesels of that age could fall fowl of the current ULEZ areas being found in many cities now and possibly the Toureg being a cheaper car might get you a compliant car more easily. I do not know where you do most of your driving but I would be dubious of a per 20016 diesel of any make given he current political climate.
Generally, diesels up to 2015 aren't ULEZ compliant - diesels from 2016 onwards are ULEZ compliant

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Generally, diesels up to 2015 aren't ULEZ compliant - diesels from 2016 onwards are ULEZ compliant

That is to say, early in 2105 Euro6 came into being, and for a diesel Euro6 is what ULEZ requires (Euro4 on petrol.)
I note that in Germany both Euro5 and Euro6 are grade 4 for emissions limits - I wonder why?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is to say, early in 2105 Euro6 came into being, and for a diesel Euro6 is what ULEZ requires (Euro4 on petrol.)
I note that in Germany both Euro5 and Euro6 are grade 4 for emissions limits - I wonder why?
I don't think many of us will be around in 2105 to worry about ULEZ. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve had torque converter, DSG, cvt and now another dual twin clutch transmission. And with the twin clutch transmission I am always aware that clutches can wear so I drive accordingly. The twin clutch ones whilst nice driving are less smooth at very slow manoeuvres than the torque converter or CVT. For towing torque converter would be my choice.
We have the CVT box in our Toyota Corolla and it is super smooth. Does the Q7 have a CVT box?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have the CVT box in our Toyota Corolla and it is super smooth. Does the Q7 have a CVT box?
No, the Q7 uses a conventional torque converter automatic - either Aisin or ZF depending on year/model - both have very good reputations and capable of handling massive torque, ie 1000 Nm, as a 6.0 V12 diesel was fitted to some models!

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No, the Q7 uses a conventional torque converter automatic - either Aisin or ZF depending on year/model - both have very good reputations and capable of handling massive torque, ie 1000 Nm, as a 6.0 V12 diesel was fitted to some models!
As does the Touareg. It’s worth mentioning the torque converter and flywheel lock up solid at a certain rpm so no continual auto slippage. A very clever system imo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts