Tow car Kia sportage 1.7 crdi ( 1)

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi thanks for letting me join, I’m looking to retire soon, and going to buy us a nice caravan, around 5k to 6 k,we had a folding camper for many years and had fabulous holidays, we probably looking at a 4 berth, I’m in the motions of doing my research into costs insurance, storage etc etc, looking e to some great times again

Thank for any helpful insite / tips in advance

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to consider when buying so perhaps you could start by letting us know you intend buying privately or from a dealer. I would first look round several dealers just to see the different layouts and what you think would suit you. If you know nothing about caravans then a good dealer is the safe way forward, but at your budget finding one with them in stock may be a problem.
You do need to know your cars weights and towing limit as these limit your choices, it should be in the handbook.
When budgeting do remember the cost of the tow bar as this is a big outlay and will be somewhere North of £500.
Once you know what you think suits you let us know and you will get help.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Check out youtube videos on whats faults to look for especially damp. More vans you inspect in person the better. Will see features/layouts you do and don't like which should help create wishlist.

Before buying get it inspected by professional. This also applies to vans sold by dealers.

If looking at Euro vans be aware they aren't always as well equipped as UK vans. My Adria had gas only heating, electric only H/W and no oven.

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to consider when buying so perhaps you could start by letting us know you intend buying privately or from a dealer. I would first look round several dealers just to see the different layouts and what you think would suit you. If you know nothing about caravans then a good dealer is the safe way forward, but at your budget finding one with them in stock may be a problem.
You do need to know your cars weights and towing limit as these limit your choices, it should be in the handbook.
When budgeting do remember the cost of the tow bar as this is a big outlay and will be somewhere North of £500.
Once you know what you think suits you let us know and you will get help.
Much appreciated , thanks for your help and advice

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Check out youtube videos on whats faults to look for especially damp. More vans you inspect in person the better. Will see features/layouts you do and don't like which should help create wishlist.

Before buying get it inspected by professional. This also applies to vans sold by dealers.

If looking at Euro vans be aware they aren't always as well equipped as UK vans. My Adria had gas only heating, electric only H/W and no oven.
Thanks impressed with the advice and help here!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth checking the stats for your model year and version as the towing capacity seems to vary although I think the majority had a 1600kg max. Although the recommended 85% of kerbweight is also a good yardstick.
Definitely worth shopping round for your towbar fitted as prices will vary - worth having a look on PF jones website that gives a good overview of the options. You should find it easy to opt for fitting at your home too!
Then the caravan hunt begins - whether buying privately of from a dealer be prepared to buy with the head not the heart as I’m afraid there are plenty of lemons in the fruit bowl! Good luck!

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
A couple of points,.
Storage can be hard to find in some areas, so make sure you have that sorted before you buy.
The biggest killer of caravans is damp, so have it checked thoroughly before you commit, sadly you can't always trust a dealers damp report.
Also budget for all the kit you'll need, you've had a camper so I'm sure you know what I mean, But it adds up surprisingly
Good luck, hope you ga e fun when you get it.

May 8, 2023
Visit site
Hey, I have a Kia Sportage 1.7. we bought a Bailey range series 5. It's mtplm weight is about 1250kg. The Kia can pull max 1400kg. I have no real issues with tow apart from she's a little slower on big inclines apart from that solid towing.

Reactions: Old codger
May 20, 2024
Visit site
Worth checking the stats for your model year and version as the towing capacity seems to vary although I think the majority had a 1600kg max. Although the recommended 85% of kerbweight is also a good yardstick.
Definitely worth shopping round for your towbar fitted as prices will vary - worth having a look on PF jones website that gives a good overview of the options. You should find it easy to opt for fitting at your home too!
Then the caravan hunt begins - whether buying privately of from a dealer be prepared to buy with the head not the heart as I’m afraid there are plenty of lemons in the fruit bowl! Good luck!
Thanks some good sound advice!

May 20, 2024
Visit site
A couple of points,.
Storage can be hard to find in some areas, so make sure you have that sorted before you buy.
The biggest killer of caravans is damp, so have it checked thoroughly before you commit, sadly you can't always trust a dealers damp report.
Also budget for all the kit you'll need, you've had a camper so I'm sure you know what I mean, But it adds up surprisingly
Good luck, hope you ga e fun when you get it.
I hope we’ll have some great times as I plan to retire soon 😊

Jun 15, 2024
Visit site
One more gotcha to be very careful of when buying a tow car.

We have now got ourselves a very nice Skoda Karoq diesel 4x4 (tows our Swift Sprite Alpine 2 beautifully), but could have fallen foul of this obscure issue. Only found out when talking to a towbar fitter.

No matter what the specifications you read for a car, about its maximum gross train weight (i.e. maximum fully loaded weight of the whole outfit, tow car plus caravan), and what reviews you might read, there is only one specified weight that the law, and therefore insurance companies, will go by - the GTW weight specified on the tow car's VIN plate. And for some cars that can be written as 0kg or just zero! I think I read that some other manufacturers just leave it blank, with no weight specified, which amounts to the same thing.

Crackers though it may seem, it can happen, and the law will only go by that figure. Skoda do it on some of their vehicles if sold without their towing preparation kit, which for some of their models involves not just a towbar, but also uprating the engine cooling system etc. So in some cases it gets sold as new as unsuitable for towing, and they ensure this by putting 0kg on the VIN plate. Moreover, once a vehicle has its VIN plate at manufacturer, you can never get it changed, no matter what upgrades you may subsequently do to the car - I think it is a legal thing. So if that were the case and you got stopped for a spot check, or involved in an insurance claim, it could get tricky.

So do be careful! Be very clear the car dealer knows you intend to tow with the car, and if they confirm it is good then you have suitable comeback. But also double check the tow car's VIN plate yourself of course.

Don't misunderstand me. It obviously makes good sense to check all the car's specifications and reviews carefully beforehand - good homework. I'm just saying that when you come to buy a car, be sure the actual car you are buying has - or will have - a sensible gross train weight on the VIN plate. And if buying a new car, be very sure the dealer knows you intend to tow with it, so if your new car turns up with 0kg on its VIN plate, you can reject the vehicle as unsuitable for the purpose it is being sold to you for. Something in writing like an email would be good, in the buying process, with the dealer acknowledging it will be suitable to tow with.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
May 8, 2023
Visit site
This site is pretty useful also, it's what I used

MelissaPeters

BANNED
Sep 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi thanks for letting me join, I’m looking to retire soon, and going to buy us a nice caravan, around 5k to 6 k,we had a folding camper for many years and had fabulous holidays, we probably looking at a 4 berth, I’m in the motions of doing my research into costs insurance, storage etc etc, looking e to some great times again
Thank for any helpful insite / tips in advance
welcome to the Forum

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice on here, plus plenty of old codgers. 😀 Hope you will feel at home.
Keep posting
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts