Tow Dilemma...

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys :unsure:

Just bought a very clean Compass Corona 556 (first caravan) to tow with my 2009 Honda CRV 2.2 CDTi.

The MTPLM of the van is 1460KG with the MIRO being 1269KG.

My faithful CRV's weight is 1660kg (so my max '85% tow' would be 1411KG); but given the MTPLM, I'm concerned that the CRV isn't heavy enough, considering that I will no doubt have items to place in the van as we go.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The 85% towing advice goes back years and is just that, advice. If your CRV's weight is 1660, is that Kerb weight or MAX weight, if its kerb weight then you will be coming in at 87% which I think is still acceptable for this combination. Others will be along soon.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
The 85% towing advice goes back years and is just that, advice. If your CRV's weight is 1660, is that Kerb weight or MAX weight, if its kerb weight then you will be coming in at 87% which I think is still acceptable for this combination. Others will be along soon.

Most sources including PC say the CRV's KERB weight is 1660KG. Thanks for your reply.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
That makes the ratio 87%... I don't see any issue with that. The 85% thing is a guideline not a rule. Providing your car is rated to tow that weight, and you load and tow sensibly, you should be ok.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Did you pass your driving test before 1997? If so, or if you have acquired the B+E licence groups by another means, then all is well. If not the combination of the van weight and car gross weight may be too heavy for your licence. Hope not.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase BTW
Mel

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi. Did you pass your driving test before 1997? If so, or if you have acquired the B+E licence groups by another means, then all is well. If not the combination of the van weight and car gross weight may be too heavy for your licence. Hope not.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase BTW
Mel

Hope I am interpreting the NIDirect website here; but it looks like I am okay with Cat B as long as the MAM is not over 3500KG:
From https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/cars-towing-trailers-or-caravans
Category B are vehicles up to 3,500kgs MAM and with up to eight passenger seats.
A category B vehicle may be coupled with a trailer over 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 3,500kgs MAM. Or it could be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM, provided the combination does not exceed 4,250kgs MAM.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You will have to check your cars MAM, maximum allowed Mass, Normally on a door pillar, and add that to the caravans MAM ( MTPLM) if it is over 3500 kg, then you need B+E licence, a quick check says that a 2.2 crv max weight is 2200 kg. So you would be over by 160 kg.
Check the actual max weight on the car.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
You will have to check your cars MAM, maximum allowed Mass, Normally on a door pillar, and add that to the caravans MAM ( MTPLM) if it is over 3500 kg, then you need B+E licence, a quick check says that a 2.2 crv max weight is 2200 kg. So you would be over by 160 kg.

Aghh!

Okay. So,
[ol]
[*]Either I get B&E test,
[*]Or, has anyone ideas for a good used towing vehicle that would work with my cat B?
[/ol]

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
fooddestroyer said:
EH52ARH said:

Aghh!

Okay. So,
[ol]
[*]Either I get B&E test,
[*]Or, has anyone ideas for a good used towing vehicle that would work with my cat B?
[/ol]

Why not get a quote for b + E test which will probably be a lot cheaper than swapping or buying another vehicle ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Before you panic too much do a check on your car for its Max weight. The google check I done didnt specify a year or model. Manual gearbox cars are lighter.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get your B+E test , that way you remove any possibility of falling foul of the limits with B only, and as has been said it will be a lot cheaper than changing cars.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
EH52ARH said:
Before you panic too much do a check on your car for its Max weight. The google check I done didnt specify a year or model. Manual gearbox cars are lighter.

Generally, the max. weight of auto and manual versions of the same model are identical. It is only the kerbweight which is different.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Not only will the B+E test inevitably work out cheaper than changing your car, but if Hutch's figures are correct you'd have to look at a car at least 160kg lighter to be able to tow your caravan without it. That would most likely mean reducing the kerb weight to approximately the MTPLM or your caravan, which is not advised even though it may be legally permissible.

Your best option, as others have said is just to do the test. Yes it costs money, which you're essentially giving to the government but my understanding is that (unless you do something stupid and lose your licence) you only have to do it once.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Hutch ( EH52ARH) has said the answer is easily discoverd simply by checking the the weight plate on the car

On the basis that your caravan does weigh more that 750kg Your B licence limits you a "Combined MAM" of 3500kg

3500(B limit) -1460kg(Caravan MTPLM) = 2040kg (MAM of Car)

With that caravan you need a tow car not exceeding 2040kg MAM (or Gross Vehicle Weight)

Like others I suspect that the Honda will exceed 2040kg MAM. I also suspect that if you were to find a vehicle witha MAM of less than 2040, its kerbweight will also be correspondingly lower making the outfit match much less favourable.

I concure that your most cost effective solution will be to go for the E extension to your licence, also because the CRV should be great tow car for the caravan.

Good luck

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
fooddestroyer said:
I've absorbed the wisdom of all your guys and booked my B&E test for next Thursday!

Onwards,

FD

You've not given any clue as to your towing experience, but I'm concerned that you are not prepared for this test. I would have spectacularly failed without training, despite 5 years of towing experience. Have you booked the test via an instructor? As you will need to provide the car and suitable trailer yourself for the test.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
fooddestroyer said:
I've absorbed the wisdom of all your guys and booked my B&E test for next Thursday!

Onwards,

FD

You've not given any clue as to your towing experience, but I'm concerned that you are not prepared for this test. I would have spectacularly failed without training, despite 5 years of towing experience. Have you booked the test via an instructor? As you will need to provide the car and suitable trailer yourself for the test.

Apologies; I booked all through a local approved driving school. It’s a two day thing, with Thursday being day 2 inclusive of test.

I am looking forward to learning even though I am towing and reversing small trailers for over 10 years.

Thanks for your concern guys. Well impressed by everyone’s attentiveness and encouragement.

FD

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well done, and very good luck with your test. I am told that reversing small trailers is much harder than reversing a caravan, so I am sure you will be fine.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
fooddestroyer said:
CustardAvenger said:
fooddestroyer said:

Onwards,

FD

Apologies; I booked all through a local approved driving school. It’s a two day thing, with Thursday being day 2 inclusive of test.

I am looking forward to learning even though I am towing and reversing small trailers for over 10 years.

Thanks for your concern guys. Well impressed by everyone’s attentiveness and encouragement.

FD

Well done mate . After all this hard work, you will do. think about meeting up with The Woosies. Caravanning is agreat way to get away and meet folk. .
Hutch

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Towing a short caravan, or trailer is difficult when reversing, which is the van they train and test you with so anything afterward that is easy. , go for it. .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Towing a short caravan, or trailer is difficult when reversing, which is the van they train and test you with so anything afterward that is easy. , go for it. .

Agree , I've a small 1o foot twin axle house trailer for rubbish & find the caravan easier to reverse !
Good luck .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
fooddestroyer said:

FD

Cool, sounds like you are sorted! Best of luck.

EH52ARH said:

I took the test with a twin axle curtain sided trailer, it turned much slower than my single axle 10' caravan (which was not that much bigger!) made it easier to control the reversing portion of the test.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I took the test with a twin axle curtain sided trailer, it turned much slower than my single axle 10' caravan (which was not that much bigger!) made it easier to control the reversing portion of the test.

The factor that affects the trailers turning when reversing is not the length of the trailer, but the distance from the hitch to the axle. For a twin axle that will lie somewhere between the two axles, and it can change with loading and a different hitch height.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts