Tow mirror vibration (that old chestnut!)

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Had a quick search on here for mirror vibration cures and the only half-sensible solution, (from 7 years ago so I refrained from replying and bringing much irrelevant debate to the fore) was to use proper rigid door mounted mirrors instead of mounting something as an extension of the existing door mirror. I say half-sensible as I'm not sure such things as like a mini-scaffold-like A-frame still exist, do they? I vaguely recall them from the 70s or 80s.

Yet it seems to me, mirror vibration is all the more an issue now what with the unfortunate fad for vehicle manufactuers to fit, and aggressive poseurs to (often mis)use, ever more dazzling headlights and pesky 'running lights', as it takes far longer, if its possible at all, to make sense of all the jangling jiggling wobbly fuzzy lights of over-taking vehciles in your mirrors and to judge their speed and distance. More often than not I have to gingerly pull out on motorways to overtake the suprising number of people who chug along at 40 or 50 when that's no good for maintaing momentum on an incline or indeed to get anywhere on a motorway at all, and hope for the best. In fact, this 'lightmare' issue is such a widespread potential danger might there be any kind of caravan road safety body who might just possibly be helping lobbying for better vehicle lighting controls and education/policing of existing laws?

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I use the Milenco Grand Aero and do not suffer from mirror vibration.
I gladly don't suffer from all your other woes too. As for gingerly pulling out to pass slower vehicles, I do this in advance as I'm more conscious of things ahead of me.
Regards,

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I also use Mikenco Grand Aero towing.mirrors which are vibration free when properly fastened to the vehicle door mirrors.
When towing at night it's best to observe the road situation using defensive driving techniques whereby you identify road issues or 'threats' which you need to react to or deal with.
Concentrate on the sets of lights in the same way, don't look directly into them and use good all round observation and anticipation to help with overtaking manoeuvres.
Remember,, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuver, if in doubt just wait until it's safe.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't know what make mine are, but they strap securely to the door mirror housing with stout rubber straps - two per mirror casing, vibration does not present a difficulty.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did have some vibration from Milenco Aeros, but nothing serious. Changing from fitting from the top to the bottom of the mirror helped reduce this. The Milencos would not fit the new car but I only discovered this when I went to hitch up so ended up with a cheap pair as the only ones I could get. The new ones strap on and clip on to the mirror and are vibration free. Not sure if this is the different car, the smaller mirror heads or the double fastening though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use Milenco Aeros and they do vibrate slightly but nothing to cause concern. Don’t do much night driving with the caravan but as Parksy says you just have to be more aware of what’s around you and drive defensively with the 1.n tonne sail behind you.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Milencos for me too, no vibration. I think much of the problem is down to the cars mirrors rather than the fact the caravan mirrors are extensions. Some cars with have more play in the mirror housing than others, and the further you extend, the more the vibration magnifies.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kiveton said:
I got over the problem - I have the caravan on a permanent pitch all year round.

I will forgive you. :unsure:

My Milenco Grand Aeros did vibrate when fitted to my Santa Fe 2014. This winter I bought a set of the "wedged top clamps"this stopped the vibrations a lot well worth the money.
http://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/mirror-spares/aero-mirror-pads

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My twenty year old Smats strap on with thick strong bands. No vibes.
Not sure what the rest of the OP is on about. Surely dazzling lights etc will happen whether towing or not.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Not sure what the rest of the OP is on about. Surely dazzling lights etc will happen whether towing or not.

I think I understand. If your towing mirror is vibrating, a high intensity headlight could obliterate what image was visible, however, I have been totally blinded by LED equipped Range Rovers when solo, as their beam seems to be pointed towards door mirrors. I had to cover my view of the mirror so I could see.

I also seemed to have a problem with being dazzled driving in the dark by oncoming cars. I was convinced that every oncoming car was on full beam (10x worse for JLR products weirdly). Turns out I have an Astigmatism in one eye.

My Milenco Grand Aero do vibrate a bit, but I have put that down to the plastic mirror housing having some flex in it. Mitigated by getting the clamps as far apart as possible.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any problems with vibration or anything like that on my mirrors especially since we lost one on the A19 awhile back but that was when my wife put them on I always check and double check they nipped right up and not a chance of coming off , only clamped on by 2 top clamps , I don't have any straps going round anything like that though .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Dustydog said:

I think I understand. If your towing mirror is vibrating, a high intensity headlight could obliterate what image was visible, however, I have been totally blinded by LED equipped Range Rovers when solo, as their beam seems to be pointed towards door mirrors. I had to cover my view of the mirror so I could see.

I also seemed to have a problem with being dazzled driving in the dark by oncoming cars. I was convinced that every oncoming car was on full beam (10x worse for JLR products weirdly). Turns out I have an Astigmatism in one eye.

My Milenco Grand Aero do vibrate a bit, but I have put that down to the plastic mirror housing having some flex in it. Mitigated by getting the clamps as far apart as possible.

Some cars with LED headlights have poor auto adjustment when faced with oncoming cars which are on dipped beam. It can be worse if you are coming up a slope such that the LED equipped car is heading towards you and is effectively higher than you particularly if it is just cresting a slope it’s lights and sensors are pointing slightly skywards. . It’s made worse if the oncoming car is a high riding SUV. It’s auto dip system has a delay in seeing your headlights on dipped beam as effectively your car is below its sensor height. If you were to remain on full beam it would see you earlier.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
.. It’s auto dip system has a delay in seeing your headlights on dipped beam as effectively your car is below its sensor height. If you were to remain on full beam it would see you earlier.

I have though about the auto-high beam systems being fine in theory/controlled environments but not in real-world applications.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts