Tow plug vandalised

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all
Im looking for some help, My caravan tow plug as been cut off by someone along with approx 300mm of cable.I can only assume the thief is making himself a shunt lead and decided stealing my plug was a good starting point.
I am now left with a repair.Is there some kind of a straight connector weather proof box I can attach underneath the van then maybe a metre of cable with a new plug or do I take the cable back to we’re it goes into the caravan so there is no join.
thank you.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If it was mine and the van had to continue a life in the location where the thief operates, I would put a car end socket on the chopped off lead and mount the socket as convenient; all wiring etc either draw back or clipped securely.
I would then make a plug at each end "extension" lead say from a metre of new multi-core cable to couple up as and when needed, and stow safely away when not.
If it is the 13 pin system, I would have little concern about the integrity of the "extra joints", and if ever a continuity issue did crop up, know where to look first.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear that some low-life scumbag has done this to your caravan.
Just out of interest was your caravan in storage or on a site?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The van is now seasonal,I’m in my 70s.and retired,
it’s a small site with minimal security.possibly someone leaving after staying on the site found an opportunity to steal the plug,I’m trying to decide maybe speak to an auto electrician.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I see no reason why the caravan cannot have the plug located somewhere out of site and an additional length of wire with a plug both ends be used as and when the caravan is moved. If the caravan is not taken onto the road possibly you could just blank off the wires as they are not really needed if it is just towed on private land. The wire could be refitted once you come to sell it.

Reactions: Brian_5041834
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The other approach is to have the two plugs on the caravan replaced with sockets like the ones on the car, fitted on the chassis of the caravan near the hitch, and then keep two short leads (or even coiled leads) with plugs on both ends to make the necessary connections when towing. Nothing I'm aware of in the regs to prevent it.

Reactions: Brian_5041834
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello all
Im looking for some help, My caravan tow plug as been cut off by someone along with approx 300mm of cable.I can only assume the thief is making himself a shunt lead and decided stealing my plug was a good starting point.
I am now left with a repair.Is there some kind of a straight connector weather proof box I can attach underneath the van then maybe a metre of cable with a new plug or do I take the cable back to we’re it goes into the caravan so there is no join.
thank you.
My cable to the lights is all external and was in poor condition, also needed to upgrade it to 13 pin. So I joined it to a new 13 pin plug and cable under the van using crimp connectors and self adhesive heatshrink over. You would need some 5A and 15A crimps plus a tool and some thin heatshrink for each core, plus self adhesive in a larger size to sleeve over the lot. You’d need a heat gun too. I have all this to hand already, your mileage may vary. But it is perfectly possible to make a good waterproof join under the van without a junction box. In the pic new cable goes to right. There are cables branching to the front sidelights on my van.

Steve

C60C588F-9D78-40E9-906E-300AD4CBF508.jpeg

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The other approach is to have the two plugs on the caravan replaced with sockets like the ones on the car, fitted on the chassis of the caravan near the hitch, and then keep two short leads (or even coiled leads) with plugs on both ends to make the necessary connections when towing. Nothing I'm aware of in the regs to prevent it.
Hello prof.
I like the sound of that idea,I could probably manage that job myself
Thank you
My cable to the lights is all external and was in poor condition, also needed to upgrade it to 13 pin. So I joined it to a new 13 pin plug and cable under the van using crimp connectors and self adhesive heatshrink over. You would need some 5A and 15A crimps plus a tool and some thin heatshrink for each core, plus self adhesive in a larger size to sleeve over the lot. You’d need a heat gun too. I have all this to hand already, your mileage may vary. But it is perfectly possible to make a good waterproof join under the van without a junction box. In the pic new cable goes to right. There are cables branching to the front sidelights on my van.

That looks a decent repair steve,
Might take a look at that idea
Thank you

View attachment 3960
Thanks Steve,
I see no reason why the caravan cannot have the plug located somewhere out of site and an additional length of wire with a plug both ends be used as and when the caravan is moved. If the caravan is not taken onto the road possibly you could just blank off the wires as they are not really needed if it is just towed on private land. The wire could be refitted once you come to sell it.
Thanks raywood

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts