Towball hitch query

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Complete noob to the world of towing and Caravaning, looks a great forum so hopefully someone can help with a bit of advice.

Picked up a Kia Sorento last week and it came with a towbar and I believe an Alko removable tow ball.

I’m struggling to tell whether the tow ball is located correctly.

In the image, it clicked into position but the dial sits a fair bit away from the body of the tow ball. The instructions supplied appear to show that the dial should be tight or closer to the body.

Also, in a moment of faffing, managed to remove the lock cylinder completely from the housing.

Is this simply a security measure and shouldn’t affect it locking into position or not?

Any advice appreciated, Chris.
IMG_7583.jpeg

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I don’t recognise your hitch system. So cant help. The two detachables I have had could be fitted ‘nearly’ but not 100%. It could be moved slightly from side to side. I don’t know if it was safe because I would refit it until it was solid.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Complete noob to the world of towing and Caravaning, looks a great forum so hopefully someone can help with a bit of advice.

Picked up a Kia Sorento last week and it came with a towbar and I believe an Alko removable tow ball.

I’m struggling to tell whether the tow ball is located correctly.

In the image, it clicked into position but the dial sits a fair bit away from the body of the tow ball. The instructions supplied appear to show that the dial should be tight or closer to the body.

Also, in a moment of faffing, managed to remove the lock cylinder completely from the housing.

Is this simply a security measure and shouldn’t affect it locking into position or not?

Any advice appreciated, Chris.
View attachment 5362
Welcome to the forum.
I would contact Alko tech support and also their website may lead you to an operating manual download. I’ve never seen one like that so would err from giving advice on such a safety related item.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
That looks a lot like the Westfalia tow bar I'm having fitted next week! The docs I've seen on line suggest that if the green bit on the rotating wheel is lined up with any part of the green segment on the towbar then it's locked into position.

Do you have a towbar workshop near you? An approved fitter whose main business is towbars, not a garage who also do towbar fitting? My experience of such places is they'll be more than happy to spend five minutes having a look and giving you good advice.

If you happen to be in the South Hampshire area then I know from experience that Towbar Services in Fair Oak will definitely help you this way. If you tell us roughly where you are, I'm sure you'll have someone local on the forum who can give a similar local recommendation.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Towball
I hope this video helps. It does show that the handle should be flush when fitted. This is the Westfalia A40v. So not your 3KS but shows the principle.

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Great thank you, it does appear the key and barrel need to be in situ to allow complete and full attachment.

I can put the barrel back into the turn handle but the key won’t enter fully. I’ll have a fiddle about later with it.

If I need to contact a supplier, are Witter the guys to go to?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My parents had the same type fitted by Kia to a 2016 Ceed. The key/barrel does need to be in place but it was always a bit of a fiddle to get it to lock, in the end they left it in place.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Great thank you, it does appear the key and barrel need to be in situ to allow complete and full attachment.

I can put the barrel back into the turn handle but the key won’t enter fully. I’ll have a fiddle about later with it.

If I need to contact a supplier, are Witter the guys to go to?
Any NTTA fitting company should be able to give you some advice on your fitment.

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Went to the local towbar installer this morning, who looked at the towball and how it sitted in the collar. Said straight away rust or debris inside the collar was preventing it from locating properly.

Came back home, wire brush and a bit of spray white lithium grease, the towball now sits flush in the collar with no movement and the diall flush against the body👍

I am still however, unable to lock the towball. The key will not turn in the lock what so ever thou I have noticed the key doesn’t fit the barrel flush 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
If the barrel comes out with the key you can firstly lubricate the barrel springs pins/sliders see if they move And check if it now works. If not and the pins/ sliders move and the key actually fits into the barrel you can file the protruding pins/sliders flush with the barrel and the barrel should now operate correctly as you have tailored the barrel to the key? as a last resort if you don’t feel confident.

Aug 17, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, i’ve removed the barell and lubricated both ends. The key still won’t enter fully as in the image. If I remove the washer on the bottom part, am I likely to have bits of the lock drop out? Or is it advisable to take it to a lock guy to take a look at?

Attachments

• IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7641.jpeg
    IMG_7641.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 4
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, i’ve removed the barell and lubricated both ends. The key still won’t enter fully as in the image. If I remove the washer on the bottom part, am I likely to have bits of the lock drop out? Or is it advisable to take it to a lock guy to take a look at?
Chris I think that all depends on your confidence, in yourself to be able to dismantle and reassemble the lock barrel, the pins have tobe reffited into the correct, holes, and the springs can be fiddly.
Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts