towball weight on seat alhambra 2.0 diesel

Feb 2, 2006
Visit site
the towball weight in the handbook gives the weight as 50kg this seem very low. the sharan almost the same car has a weight of 85kg.I know that people on this forum tow with an alhambra, any comments on this please

Ken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello kenneth,

I agree that 50Kg tow ball load seems very low especially as you point out the similarly specified VW sharan and Ford Galaxy have much higher permitted loads.

If you want confirmation of this type of information you must contact your SEAT dealer, give them all the vehicle chassis numbers make and model of towball and ask them to verify the limits.

Anything else would be hearsay and it would be irresponsible to rely on it.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Kenneth, you are right in thinking that these two vehicles are the same spec but you may find that the difference in nose weight comes from the manufacturers testing and rating procedures. There are no authorities responsible for setting the standards on how the vehicles should be tested for towing. This is why we have such a huge difference in towing hieghts on vehicles depending on whether you have a factory or an after market tow bar fitted and also towing weights. Seats are probably tested in Spain and a Sharan in Germany. So unfortunately this means that the weights stated in the handbook are correct according to Seat and that it would be recommended to conform to these. Regards Vincent.

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
Regarding the nose weight on seat alhambra. I owned one two years ago and had the same weight info, but after phoning my local dealer was told that 85kg is the uk spec. Hope this helps? ps FANTASTIC tow cars

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again kenneth.

It is intersting that Nigel has been told of an increased nose load capacity, but I must reinforce what Lust.fish has stated. The published figures are what any law enforcement officer would use to assess the legitimacy of an outfit.

You could only use a higher rating if the manufacture supplies a written confirmation that includes full reference to chassis numbers and registration marks, and has a document reference that would enable the authorities to confirm the authenticity of the change notice with the manufacture that a change has been properly authorised.

The only alternative (and better for every one) is if the manufacture publishes an ammendment, and lodges it with the vehicle standards agency that records type approvals.

Simply saying that the garage has said its ok to use 85kG will not wash with the authorities.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Kenneth, I had a 2002 galaxy that was rated at 85 kgs nose weight and now own a 2005 alhambra tdi, the handbook for my alhambra states that the noseweight is the same as my galaxy at 85 kgs. the alhambra is an absolute gem as a tow car due to its slightly firmer suspension than the sharran or galaxy and we chose to have the sport suspension fitted which improves the car even more. we tow a ace celebration 590 twin axle with ours and it beats the discovery i had before the galaxy hands down, and i like 4x4's, its the best tow car i have owned to date.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Icemaker,

Thankyou for your posting, and provided the documentation you have was supplied originally with your vehicle then that is fine, BUT, in Kenneth's case the original documentation seems to say 50kG, and that is therfore the legal limit for his motor.

The reason is that the manufacture will have a record of the chassis number, and be able to confirm with the authorities the date when the motor was despatched from the factory. They will be able to recall any modifications and revisions to the design of the vehicle at that time, and they may affect the vehicles permited nose load.

In addition, the documentation will also be date coded, and the manufacture wil be able to confirm which revision of the paperwork was supplied with the motor, thus for a given range of chassis numbers, thier legal nose load limit may be different to your own.

Kenneth still needs to seek written confirmation of an increased limit for his vehicle, befoe assumming or using 85kG as his limit.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with you john, kenneth must check first with seat uk, they can be contacted on 0500 222222 and they are very helpfull. My handbook is the original as i bought the car new from a franchised dealer.

i only had my galaxy for a short time as it was the 115 bhp version and struggled a bit with our van which at the time was a coachman laser so when we bought the alhambra tdi 130 the dealer checked with seat if my brink detachable towbar would swap from my galaxy to the alhambra, they replied that it was not a problem as the cars where made on the same production line in spain and there for where identical in every way including tow bar fixing points. its quite nice to take the seat engine cover off and find everything with vw audi written on it knowing you have got the vw quality but paid so much less for it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Icemaker,

I know it seems silly, but as Lust.fish pointed out what apparently is the same vehicle, can have a differnt specification, depending onmany things including where it is to be sold.

There are some quite well known examples where just that happens, such as the old model of teh Vauhall/Opel Zafira, where teh model for the German market (Opel) had a different max tow weight limit.

There are some even bigger differences between european and thier american identical vehicles.

Whilst some very well qualified vehicle engineers could not find any material difference between two versions of a "world car" the manufacture insisted that there were different limits, and the published figures stood.

This also goes to show that it is important to check these details before purchase, especially if you are caravanner where you may be likely to explore the upper limits.

Glad to read of your satisfaction with the SEAT, though, as you have pointed out yourself, your model seems to have stiffer springing than the VW of Ford versions, Just goes to show that differences do exsist.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is possible that differences in suspension tuning and/or different rear bumper configurations between the Galaxy and the Alhambra to suit their specific styling layout account for the apparent anomaly. Model year engineering design changes can also account for later adjustments during the lifetime of a particular car, too.

Small correction to your statements about the Zafira, John. There is no difference between German and UK market Zafiras as far as max. towload is concerned. The GM Europe Tech Centre is responsible for both and their submissions for EU type approval are identical. What is different is that Vauxhall specify figures only according to the EU directive for a 12% gradient but German customers have the option being able to tow higher loads on less severe gradients of 10% and, in some cases, 8% as these have been tested, too. It appears that Vauxhall are unwilling to make such concessions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible that differences in suspension tuning and/or different rear bumper configurations between the Galaxy and the Alhambra to suit their specific styling layout account for the apparent anomaly. Model year engineering design changes can also account for later adjustments during the lifetime of a particular car, too.

Small correction to your statements about the Zafira, John. There is no difference between German and UK market Zafiras as far as max. towload is concerned. The GM Europe Tech Centre is responsible for both and their submissions for EU type approval are identical. What is different is that Vauxhall specify figures only according to the EU directive for a 12% gradient but German customers have the option being able to tow higher loads on less severe gradients of 10% and, in some cases, 8% as these have been tested, too. It appears that Vauxhall are unwilling to make such concessions.
I accept your comments Lutz, and welcome back after you grande tour of teh UK, but the thrust of my point was that

sister manufactures can and do produce esentially the same vehicle but specify it differently, that may be for legal reasosn relating to the country of sale, or for other internal politics.

Feb 26, 2006
Visit site
Hello again kenneth.

It is intersting that Nigel has been told of an increased nose load capacity, but I must reinforce what Lust.fish has stated. The published figures are what any law enforcement officer would use to assess the legitimacy of an outfit.

You could only use a higher rating if the manufacture supplies a written confirmation that includes full reference to chassis numbers and registration marks, and has a document reference that would enable the authorities to confirm the authenticity of the change notice with the manufacture that a change has been properly authorised.

The only alternative (and better for every one) is if the manufacture publishes an ammendment, and lodges it with the vehicle standards agency that records type approvals.

Simply saying that the garage has said its ok to use 85kG will not wash with the authorities.
Has anyone asked where Practical Caravan get there info from, they rate the nose wieght at 85kg

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I have rang seat and spoke to the technical department regarding this issue and adviced them of the concerns on this site, they confirmed to me on the phone and now by letter on seat headed note paper that the nose weight limit for the alhambra is 85 kg. if you call seat they will provide the same letter to you with your vehicles registration number on it which will satisfy the police or any other person who should need to see it. hope this clears up any confusion, i would highly recomend this car for towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts