Towbar Electrics - Freelander

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
I need some info on single electrics for a Freelander.

I've just found a site on the net that does a towbar kit (single electrics, ball etc.) for under £90.

I was presuming that I would need to scotch clip the electrics into the wiring loom for the electrics as i've done with previous cars. However, i've noticed from a pic from an ad on ebay that you can get single electrics with a plug on the end. I presume just plugs straight in with no need to ****** around.

Is this right? Can you get towbar electrics with a plug on the end?

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Darren

I have a Range Rover Classic and a Freelander. The freelander we had the dealer fit the towbar so I cannot comment on the electrics however My Classis has a multiplug for the towing electrics therefore I would assume that the Freelander would be similar give the nature of Landrovers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darren

The freelander has a socket behind the righthand side boot panel. If you tilt the rear seats fully forward, next unfasten and remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the rear doorway, rotate (I think anti clockwise) the netting hooks on the side panels; you will then be able to pull the panel from the rubber door seal, behind this panel you will find a small white connector for the towbar electrics. Now for the tricky part, you'll find a small rubber plug in the floor of the freelander boot (to the right,seen better from under the car) this is for the cable, if the cable is pre-fitted to the towbar socket, disconnect it so the cable can be pushed through the hole (remember to put a hole through the rubber grommet that was removed and place it back to prevent the cable rubbing), connect the cable to the socket in the boot and wire back up to the towbar socket (if you forget the order you'll find the instructions by searching the internet), test the electrics before fitting the panel back hopefully everything should be fine.

Hope this is helpful

Mar 25, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Matthew & Simon.

I've purchase the towbar mail order and as an addition bought the electrics from landrover. (these come with the plug already fitted)

Glad you explained where the connection is to the car's wiring loom otherwise I would have been there sometime!

Planning to fit it on weekend, weather permitting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Matthew & Simon.

I've purchase the towbar mail order and as an addition bought the electrics from landrover. (these come with the plug already fitted)

Glad you explained where the connection is to the car's wiring loom otherwise I would have been there sometime!

Planning to fit it on weekend, weather permitting.
Hi Darren

When fitting the towbar try to get someone to help you. I found it really simple to fit didn't even need to jack the car, but take's more then 2 hands as you need to hold the towing bracket up under the car to fit the first 2 bolts, once there in everything else is pretty straight forward.

Anyway good look

TRENDING THREADS