Towbar mounted bike rack(4 bikes)

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
I was thinking of getting a bike rack fitted to my towbar on my ford focus c-max,the problem being that the back bumper has reverse sensors fitted,does any body know what rack would be suitable so that the sensors dont pick up the bracket when reversing when not carring the bikes?

Ilook forward to your replys mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael you could do what I do and have a switch in the lead from the reverse light to the sensor.

When towing I just switch off the reversing sensors on the switch which is mounted in a dashboard blank

Hope you had a nice holiday

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't forget that the weight of the bikes and their support bracket will count towards the total download limit on the towbar, as well as the caravan's noseweight.

This wouldn't be a problem if you only carry the bikes when solo.

When towing, however, you'd end up with almost zero noseweight for the caravan which is fairly unstable. In these circumstances the bikes would be better mounted on a roof rack.

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael you could do what I do and have a switch in the lead from the reverse light to the sensor.

When towing I just switch off the reversing sensors on the switch which is mounted in a dashboard blank

Hope you had a nice holiday
Cheers thats a good idea mike

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Don't forget that the weight of the bikes and their support bracket will count towards the total download limit on the towbar, as well as the caravan's noseweight.

This wouldn't be a problem if you only carry the bikes when solo.

When towing, however, you'd end up with almost zero noseweight for the caravan which is fairly unstable. In these circumstances the bikes would be better mounted on a roof rack.
Thanks for your email this has put me off this type of bike carrier ,i might design some sort of rack to fit into my caravan to carry the bikes thanks again mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michael, I agree with Rogers response bikes are also difficult to secure in a caravan and could potentially cause damage to furniture or cause the van to be unstable if not secured correctly. The best place to carry bikes is on the roof of the car. Like you we take four bikes away with us, I put three on the roof and take the wheels of the smallest bike and place it in the boot.RichardS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts