Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
I have been caravanning for over 10 years with a Sprite Major. In this time I have had several cars, all fitted with the normal ball type towbar. I am shortly due to collect a new SAAB 9-5 estate car, which I am thoroughly looking forward to but have been informed that it has a swan neck towbar fitted to it. Is there any difference to using a swan neck compared to a ball type towbar. I dont want to get caught out after collecting the car as I am going on holidays to Italy 6 days after this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shouldn't be any problem with the swan neck unless you have a blade type stabiliser.

Check which socket the car has fitted as it could be the Euro 13 pin in which case you will neeed a 13 pin to 7 pin adaptor or if your caravan has dual plugs (grey & black)you will need a 13 pin to two 7 pin converter cable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

It is not the shape of the bar that counts as the size of the ball that your hitch is conected to which is a standard 50mm. If you requier a stabiliser with this type, then it will need to be the alko head type, I have one, never had any problems so far.

Have a nice trip.

Jim M

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

It is not the shape of the bar that counts as the size of the ball that your hitch is conected to which is a standard 50mm. If you requier a stabiliser with this type, then it will need to be the alko head type, I have one, never had any problems so far.

Have a nice trip.

Jim M
Yeah its not the shape its the size of the ball !!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Mark

Have a nice trip.

Jim M
Do I detect a note of irony your tone, Tina?

Seriously though, Rod is right. Swan neck towballs provide enough clearance to the bumper to allow an Alko-type stabiliser. A standard towball according to 94/20/EC will have 65mm clearance to the centre of the towball but for the Alko-type of stabiliser you need at least 80mm. However, this is taken into consideration on all swan neck arrangements that I'm aware of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts