Towcar for series 6 Bertagne

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Like the Toyota brand currently tow with an 06 Avensis my second all right, but not sure footed enough to be comfortable have been longing after a Landcruiser for some time {EXPENSIVE VEHICLE} also thinking on a Seat Alhambra TDI 140 07 Stylance with 9k Showing a bit wary of the Seat although I like it, is their any MAGOR PROBLEMS I SHOULD BE LOOKING OUT FOR CLUTCH AIRCON E.T.C big difference in running costs any advice either way.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi sean

i would go for a land cruiser and at the moment with the prices the way they are you can pick up a decent one fairly cheap

i would go for the colarado,i myself have an amazon which i would never change but the amazon is heavy on fuel and insurance and has loads of extras which when they go wrong are expensive to repair.i use to have a colarado and only changed it because it was getting old and i wanted a bit of comfort in my old age lol

i would highly recomend a colarado,in fact the amazon too.the colarado i had would do 30mpg easy when towing and they are built like tanks,in fact the only thing i replaced on the one i had was the exhaust and brake pads which you will have to change on any car.the engines and gearboxes are built to last and as long as it is serviced regular you should have no problems

hgv dave

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sean,

I would also go with a Colorado or Landcruiser, depending on your budget. We have had both and currently run an LC 120, excellent towcars and some pretty good batgains around at the moment.

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sean

I am on my second Landcruiser 55 Reg [LC3 3.0 D-4D 5 speed Auto]. 31mpg solo 26mpg towing.

First was a Colorado 51 Reg 3.0 D-4D 4 speed Auto. 30mpg solo 25mpg towing.

Neither vehicle has had a single fault my only expense being the annual service.

My neighbour [a landscape gardener] has a P Reg Colorado [Manual] he has done over 200,000 miles and the engine has never been touched - just serviced!!!

The D-4D engine was introduced Jan 2001 and I would recommend this new engine if you do buy a Landcruiser.

Autos are slightly better on fuel than manuals - that is according to Toyota Brochure.

I don't know how much you want to spend but looking on Auto Trader

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
Tow with a galaxy, so its the same as the Seat, and not sure if the 07 version is still VWs PD engine or common rail, as they changed over about that time.common rail is smoother and quieter.

Mine tows a bustner 1500kg,OK, and the mpv is indeed a versatile vehicle. Not entirely my cuppa tea, but.

Known faults, Air con plays up on the Galaxy, but for some reason its not as big an issue with the seat!

Negligee faults, are not worth mentioning as they are common on all major cars. Have herd of smoking clutches, again this is something you hear about of most major manufacturers employing the DUAL mass flywheel layout, but not something I have encountered, so maybe its more a case of abuse of the system.

All in ALL, they make pretty good all rounders and can be surprisingly economical on a run, without the caravan, 50 mpg is possible without going sleep or holding up others....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorento given its excellent towing abilty and the reliability figures...see TUV, JD Power and Which Spring 2009. Landcruiser is good but for your money you will get a better specified and more recent Sorento.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts