towcar suggestions

Feb 28, 2006
Visit site
I'm new to caravanning and want to upgrade my car for a decent towcar. I am hoping to buy a Swift which has a weight of 1450kg. I can't afford to buy a new car and am looking to spend not more than 10k. I would like something which has the muscle, but is also as economical to run as possible. I like the driving position and capabilities of a 4x4, but an mpg of less than 25 towing would be a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Paddy,

Take a look at a Volvo V70 AWD, or the XC70 AWD which has a higher ground clearance - the D5 diesel engine is a good high performance unit with good fuel efficiency, seats and interior are exactly what you would expect. Less than 10k should yield a good example.

Or the AUDI A6 TDI Quattro - probably this would be the previous body shape for under 10k.

Depending on the exact model, both the Volvo and the AUDI TDi should offer between 150 and 180 bhp, shed loads of torque, reasonable efficiency (but it will be worse than the equivalent 2 wheel drive by maybe 10%), and the more aerodynamic shape will save fuel compared to a Land Rover shaped box.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paddy,

I had a Volvo 740 Estate but back seat passengers suffered from lack of leg room on long journeys. Now have a Kia Sedona which has leg room and a high driving position but is not four wheel drive. However plenty available for

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Paddy, if you like the driving position of a 4x4 get one, I did and its great. I got a Freelander TD4 and it returns around 36/38 mpg, comparable to a petrol family saloon. you can pick a good one up for 10k easy. 1 point though go for the desiel and make sure it is the TD4 as this is the BMW engin, not the old desiel. I love mine and would never go back to owning a saloon again (the wife has got a small run around)

Kevin H

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Paddy,

Take a look at a Volvo V70 AWD, or the XC70 AWD which has a higher ground clearance - the D5 diesel engine is a good high performance unit with good fuel efficiency, seats and interior are exactly what you would expect. Less than 10k should yield a good example.

Or the AUDI A6 TDI Quattro - probably this would be the previous body shape for under 10k.

Depending on the exact model, both the Volvo and the AUDI TDi should offer between 150 and 180 bhp, shed loads of torque, reasonable efficiency (but it will be worse than the equivalent 2 wheel drive by maybe 10%), and the more aerodynamic shape will save fuel compared to a Land Rover shaped box.

Robert
That depends on what shape box you like!!

Kevin H

May 4, 2005
Visit site
The best car should have diesel engine,rear wheel drive,large boot,good passenger space,high seating position,short overhang and proven reliability.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you......

...The London Black Cab!!!!!!

Brian (",)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts