Towing a buccaneer with a rear drive car

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
Yes sounds like the same site which has evolved over the last few years. Thanks.
just had a quick play on that site and its gotten better than i remember with proper advice on gears performance [towing wise] and info on stability of car, it seems to be a pro active site too changing your bhp and torque info or weight data [as you can]has the site changing its verdict on the general performance of the outfit .. well worth a play .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
Raywood said:
There is no real problem with towing with a rear wheel drive though as opposed to front wheel drive. They are a bit lighter at the front end though so do not overload the rear.
I don't know why anyone should think that rear wheel drive cars might present a problem as such. I'd be more worried about front wheel drive. The extra weight on the towbar of adds to the traction of RWD and subtracts from the traction of FWD. Sorry, I don't understand the second sentence at all; can you clarify it?

The weight at the rear can take weight off the front and make the steering very light if overdone which may hamper hill starts and cause steering problems on bends, but it should only occur if the rear is badly overloaded. You can do this with front wheel drives as well but it is less likely.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Just pondering the price bracket and if you leave the BMW badge behind there are lots of alternatives to an X5 that would be much better value for money, Kia Sorento, Ssangyong Rexton, Mitsubishi Shogun, Volvo XC90 and so on. All good cars to tow a weighty twin axle. There are also good pick up options as well.

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Are you still towing the 1900kg with the BMWs 3.0l GT they meet the tow bar weight
i was looking and they meet the specs for experienced drivers so that would be good choice.
in my list now thanks

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
I think the 520 might struggle a bit. I had the 3.0l diesel in my old X5 which had a kerb weight of 2180 towing a 1900Kg van.

I have switched to a 5GT also with a 30l diesel, and kerb weight about 100 Kg less, but this model is somewhat heavier than the saloon style 5 series - with a hatch too, its more convenient IMHO for caravanning than a saloon.

Are you still towing the 1900kg with the BMWs 3.0l GT they meet the tow bar weight
i was looking and they meet the specs for experienced drivers so that would be good choice.
in my list now thanks

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Just pondering the price bracket and if you leave the BMW badge behind there are lots of alternatives to an X5 that would be much better value for money, Kia Sorento, Ssangyong Rexton, Mitsubishi Shogun, Volvo XC90 and so on. All good cars to tow a weighty twin axle. There are also good pick up options as well.

Thanks i will have a look at all those, i want something good value and reliable

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Raywood said:
DrZhivago said:
I don't know why anyone should think that rear wheel drive cars might present a problem as such. I'd be more worried about front wheel drive......

The weight at the rear can take weight off the front and make the steering very light if overdone which may hamper hill starts and cause steering problems on bends, but it should only occur if the rear is badly overloaded. You can do this with front wheel drives as well but it is less likely.
Let's see then with my tow ........

Wheelbase = 2.7m; distance of towhook behind rear axle = 1.1m; weight on front wheels 1300 kgf; weight on towhook 75 kgf.

So lightening on front axle due to towhook load = 75*1.1 / 2.7 = 30.6 kgf

I am not going to worry about a 2.4% change in the weight on the front axle. Adjust figures for your own case, but it still should not amount to much as a %. You would need a very badly overloaded towhook or a very light car indeed for it to make a difference. Steering problems with caravans are more to do with the dynamics of the outfit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to Dr Zee's post, a front passenger is likely to make virtually as much difference to the front axle loading, so do you really notice a loss of traction if you don't have a front seat passenger?

To make any appreciable difference to front traction becasue of towing a trailer, as has already been said the trailer's nose load would have to be much much much bigger to the point of other criteria also being seriously out of kilter or in danger of physically damaging the hitch or other mechanical items.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
as has already been said teh trailer's nose load would have to be much much much bigger to the point of other criteria also being seriously out of kilter or in danger of physically damaging the hitch or other mechanical items.
Like the Mini (old style) I saw on the M5 near Bristol in the rush hour pulling a hamburger trailer about the size of a small coach. It was doing about 25mph, belching black smoke all over the motorway, and his towhook was almost on the ground. I was in a stop-start traffic jam for about 10 miles before I eventually passed it. I had no passenger to make a phone call, but I am amazed that someone had not called the police to pull him in by then.

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
I am now looking more at 4x4 as the cars seem to be too close to limits also a good 4x4 has a lot of extra storage space.

My thoughts are Rover Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Turbo Diesel HSE around 2010 and also still looking at 3l X5 around 2010, i seen some other makes but not felt inspired either too big or not so good on the capacity and power

i am looking at budget up to 15k - 17k now, but thats ok

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts