towing caculation (85%)

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Have been checking my caravan towing % after doing the caculation I have a figure of 1113.5kg My caravan fully laden is1200kg so that makes me 86kg lower than my caravan max weight is this acceptable? tow car Suzuki grand vitara caravan dimensions are width 7ft 1 inch length 20ft 6inches

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have been checking my caravan towing % after doing the caculation I have a figure of 1113.5kg My caravan fully laden is1200kg so that makes me 86kg lower than my caravan max weight is this acceptable? tow car Suzuki grand vitara caravan dimensions are width 7ft 1 inch length 20ft 6inches
The length of the caravan is irrelevant to the weight calculations. The calculation confuses me as the 85% guide is the kerb weight of the car divided by the caravans maximum weight, its MTPLM, expressed asa as a percentage.

Your post as written seems to have it the wrong way around.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I understand the OP, 1113.5kg is 85% of the car's kerbweight. That being the case, the kerbweight would be 1310kg (which strikes me as low for a Suzuki Grand Vitara). However, assuming the figure is right the actual weight ratio would be 92%. I would question whether one would notice the difference in practice.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am also confused by your post. You basically want the kerb weight of the tow car and the MTPLM of the caravan. I cannot see the meagre loading allowance of most caravans allowing you to get it 86 kg below the MTPLM but do not know what you have.
I agree with Lutz that he car should weigh a fair amount more than the caravan, although it would need the exact model details to confirm the ratio. It sounds like a workable combination, but more details would help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As previous replies have suggested, you haven't supplied the relevant information we need to be able to assess the compatibility of your outfit.

The conventional towing ratio calculation uses the cars kerbweight, and the caravans MTPLM. This ensures the figure is calculated on the worst possible conditions, so provided the tow vehicle and the caravan is loaded and kept within their statutory load limits the real mechanical towing ratio will always be better than the conventional figure.

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
As I understand the OP, 1113.5kg is 85% of the car's kerbweight. That being the case, the kerbweight would be 1310kg (which strikes me as low for a Suzuki Grand Vitara). However, assuming the figure is right the actual weight ratio would be 92%. I would question whether one would notice the difference in practice.
it is a suzuki grand vitara 1.6 and the log book states 1310kg

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
The length of the caravan is irrelevant to the weight calculations. The calculation confuses me as the 85% guide is the kerb weight of the car divided by the caravans maximum weight, its MTPLM, expressed asa as a percentage.

Your post as written seems to have it the wrong way around.
car is 1310kg caravan is max weight 1200kg ex works its 940kg allowable payload 231kg does this help at all

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
As previous replies have suggested, you haven't supplied the relevant information we need to be able to assess the compatibility of your outfit.

The conventional towing ratio calculation uses the cars kerbweight, and the caravans MTPLM. This ensures the figure is calculated on the worst possible conditions, so provided the tow vehicle and the caravan is loaded and kept within their statutory load limits the real mechanical towing ratio will always be better than the conventional figure.
car 1310kg caravan ex works is 940kg max weight is 1200kg allowable pay load 231kg this help at all??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given the figures you have now given, the conventional towing ratio will be

MTPLM/Kerbweight x 100 = 1200/1310 x100 =91.6%

The industry advice is for novice caravanners not to exceed 85% and only increase it as experience is gained.

Good towing is not guaranteed by conforming to the advice, but it is one aspect setting up an outfit, so yes it is important but equally so is using a a good load distribution plan, to minimise end loading but to produce enough noseload on the towball.

Ensuring both caravan and the car are properly maintained and set up for towing such as tyre pressures.

Ultimately the biggest issue in my mind is drivers understanding
how to drive when towing,
being aware of how towing affects performance, and
the space needed to complete manoeuvres, such as joining roads with traffic, observing other road users in the area,
observing road and weather conditions.
being aware of the restricted speed limits for towing
being aware of where towing vehicles are not allowed to drive.
+
+
+
Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
log book states 1310kg greatfull for all the help we are getting
To find out the actual kerbweight I'd put the car on a weighbridge if I were you. What the log book says strikes me as being rather low for that car. I would expect it to be around 100kg more in which case you'd be spot on the 85%.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oops you are correct I missed the "grand" part. The diesel was a very capable tow car. However I cannot find a Grand that has a low towing weight of 1200kg?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oops you are correct I missed the "grand" part. The diesel was a very capable tow car. However I cannot find a Grand that has a low towing weight of 1200kg?
The Grand Vitaras were capable tow cars and with a ladder frame chassis and powertrain modes were capable off road. The last of the real Suzukis

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Then the guy that bought my caravan would be in for a shock.
You are looking at the current Vitara nit the Grand Vitara it’s predecessor
Its 1.6 there were no 1litre engine you mught be thinking of the Jimny
What have you found mine is a 3door 1.6

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Given the figures you have now given, the conventional towing ratio will be

MTPLM/Kerbweight x 100 = 1200/1310 x100 =91.6%

The industry advice is for novice caravanners not to exceed 85% and only increase it as experience is gained.

Good towing is not guaranteed by conforming to the advice, but it is one aspect setting up an outfit, so yes it is important but equally so is using a a good load distribution plan, to minimise end loading but to produce enough noseload on the towball.

Ensuring both caravan and the car are properly maintained and set up for towing such as tyre pressures.

Ultimately the biggest issue in my mind is drivers understanding
how to drive when towing,
being aware of how towing affects performance, and
the space needed to complete manoeuvres, such as joining roads with traffic, observing other road users in the area,
observing road and weather conditions.
being aware of the restricted speed limits for towing
being aware of where towing vehicles are not allowed to drive.
+
+
+
Good luck
I use to work in recovery with a slide bed lorry with a spectacle on the back So ihave had some towing experiance.

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Then the guy that bought my caravan would be in for a shock.
You are looking at the current Vitara nit the Grand Vitara it’s predecessor
had a look at honest John these are new vitaras with the electric 4wd mine is a 2004 with manual4wd back then there were no smaller engines

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From HJ on 2005 Grand Vitari

Miscellaneous
Kerb Weight
1472 kg
Gross Weight
-
Warranty
3 years / 60000 miles
Service interval
9000 miles
Fuel tank capacity
55 L
Maximum towing weight
1600 k

Due to the age of the vehicle I think you need to post a picture of the VIN plate to get the best advice?

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
From HJ on 2005 Grand Vitari

Miscellaneous
Kerb Weight
1472 kg
Gross Weight
-
Warranty
3 years / 60000 miles
Service interval
9000 miles
Fuel tank capacity
55 L
Maximum towing weight
1600 k

Due to the age of the vehicle I think you need to post a picture of the VIN plate to get the best advice?
thanks found the same value for 2004 with nose weight of 75kg and 1600kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts