Towing in 4 X 4

Apr 28, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know why the local Mitsubishi dealer says that when towing with my 2004 model Shogun diesel, it must be in 4 wheel drive. This makes the fuel consumption drop considerably and must add wear and tare to the system.

Any help or advice would be grateful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cos hes an idiot,ive heard this before.ive got 4x4 and never had it in 4 wheel drive ever for towing.jesus its bad enough towing single drive, 4 wheel youll probly need a fuel tanker in reserve.go back and ask him why and i bet he cant anwer you???i dont know why ,and i very much doubt that anyone else does either.take no notice of him,he shouldn't be selling cars if he knows that little about them

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have 2003 Shogun and I tow in 4wd because it states in the hand book and on a warning sticker on the door, you must select 4wd when towing because of the excess stress on the rear axle and increased oil temp could lead to serious faults. This topic has been raised many times in the Shogun / Pajero web site and the owners of older models all say the same thing Klarky rants on about, but there are people who drive in 4wd so as not to invalidate warranty and I am one of them. Will those who tell you otherwise dip into their pockets when you are landed with a massive repair bill ?

Geordie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh and I forgot to mention the fuel thing, as I have towed in 2wd for one journey towing my van, the fuel difference was 2mpg more than 4wd.

Geordie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have 2003 Shogun and I tow in 4wd because it states in the hand book and on a warning sticker on the door, you must select 4wd when towing because of the excess stress on the rear axle and increased oil temp could lead to serious faults. This topic has been raised many times in the Shogun / Pajero web site and the owners of older models all say the same thing Klarky rants on about, but there are people who drive in 4wd so as not to invalidate warranty and I am one of them. Will those who tell you otherwise dip into their pockets when you are landed with a massive repair bill ?

Geordie
i know numerous people with these 4x4's and none of them tow in 4 wheel drive simply for fuel economy,several are older cars and have yet to have any detremental effect on their cars.i can see what you are saying ,but this is just the manufactures way of covering their arse.qiute honestly if i towed a caravan and the manufacturer stated as you have quopted i'd give it a wide berth

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site

Geordie
So why buy a Mitsy for towing. I have towed with several 4x4s and none required 4wd engaged for towing. My latest is fitted with Mitsy axles (!) but does NOT require 4wd to be engaged when towing, in fact, the handbook states 4wd should NOT be engaged on hard surfaces.(lack of centre diff)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts