Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
I've a Peugeot 308 S 1.6 VTi 120hp 4 speed Automatic petrol
the plate on the car has 4 numbers
1835kg
3085kg
1, 1100kg
2, 930kg
Looking at the V5 it says for the technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer -
Braked - 1500kg
Un braked - 690kg
Digging through the handbook it says
Braked trailer within GTW limit on 10% or 12% grade 1250kg
Braked trailer with load transfer within GTW limit 1500kg.
So what's the cars limit on towing
All I'm looking at is a 2 birth basecamp or Elldis xplore lunar Ariva, even a freedom lol

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It looks as if Peugeot are doing what Renault did at one time. If you load the car and 1500 kg van up to their respective maximum weights you will exceed Gross Train Weight. So keeping the car light allows the van weight to be increased. It’s not a very good philosophy where for stability it’s better to load the car and keep the van as light as you can. But in both cases not to exceed eithers maximum specified limits. Hence your braked trailer weight on an incline is lower than that stated in the V5. Peugeot have sensibly recognised that as a caravanner you will need the outfit to be able to start on hills and carry load in the car.

1835 kg is your Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Authorised Mass.
3085 is the Gross Train Weight or maximum weight of the whole outfit. The other two figures on the plate are front and rear axle weights.

With a van at 1250kg and car at GVW you will be within the GTW and within Peugeot’s recommendation for repeated hill starts on the normally specified incline.

One guide for towing is that the vans weight should be around 85% of the cars kerbweight. It’s only a guide and as experience grows some will go to nearer 100%. But the guide figure recognises that a caravan being towed behind a car has a far different effect than would a low slung flat trailer of equivalent weight. Hence according to your V5 you could tow 1500 kg. But from my perspective that would be an empty car towing a low rubble trailer on level ground to the recycle center. It’s not suitable for a touring caravan travelling at 55-60 mph on a motorway subject to wind and traffic effects.

So looking at your figures a light caravan such as Basecamp looks suitable, but you will need to check caravan MTPLM.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
More to the point 1 and 2 are the maximum axle loads front and back respectively. 930Kg here could be significant.

You should say why.
As to measure axle loads you need a weighbridge or portable device and with the car loaded and with the caravan noseweight being applied. In truth I doubt many motorists or even caravanners have measured axle load apart from the minority who visit a weighbridge or an even smaller minority who have been stopped by a police/ VOSA checkpoint yours truly included.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m seeing kerbweughts between 1075kg and 1320kg across the range. I assume the heavier is probably the top spec auto Estate. That would put the 85% guide even fir the estate at well below your proposed 1250kg Basecamp. Peugeot have done what many car makers have done which is to shed large amounts of weight in the interests of economy and emissions. Astra and Golf shed around 200 kg as the latest models replaced the outgoing model. Even some MB E class come with lightweight 1.6 litre engines! It doesn’t help caravanning.

Have a look at PC CMHC and CCC reviews fir towcars and annual towing tests. The matching site Towcar.info I find quite helpful in trying to piece together this jigsaw.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob
Otherclive has covered all the points, but he didn't explain where the towing limit came from.

The data plate you quoted is the source and the thing that the authorities will use if you are pulled in for a spot check.

1835kg is the Gross Vehicle Weight or its Maximum Authorised Mass
3085kg is the Gross Train Weight
1, 1100kg Front axle limit
2, 930kg Rear axle limit.

The conventional approach that most vehicle manufacturer's use is to take the difference between the GTW - GVW (=1250) as that represents the heaviest trailers axle load the car can tow when the car is also fully loaded on a 12% gradient. This ensures the tow car stays within its GTW.

However as Clive has pointed out, the industry advice is that novice caravanners should aim for a caravan not exceeding 85% of the cars kerbweight. You will have to find out what your cars kerbweight is, as it's not stamped on the data plates.

I'm not sure what Woodentop's concern is about the rear axle limit, most front engined front wheel drive cars do have a front weight bias, , and for a car of your size such a limit it's not unusual.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Big fan of the tiny Xplore vans.
Xplore 302 MPTLM 940kg.
Xplore 304 MPTLM 1043KG.
Xplore 422 MPTLM 1099kg

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mel said:
Xplore 302 MPTLM 940kg.
Xplore 304 MPTLM 1043KG.
Xplore 422 MPTLM 1099kg

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Mel

Mel I hate taking away a caravan just for the dogs. :p but your dainty one is lovely.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Mel said:
Xplore 302 MPTLM 940kg.
Xplore 304 MPTLM 1043KG.
Xplore 422 MPTLM 1099kg

Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Mel

Mel I hate taking away a caravan just for the dogs. :p but your dainty one is lovely.

It’s so light, I am sure that your car could take the weight. Just need to find a way to hitch it to the back of your caravan. :huh:
Mel

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Another one here who really liked your caravan Mel, I remember looking at it with the awning up and thinking, "why am I lugging this thing around, Mel's outfit is so nice and very practical in so many ways".

I have forgoten the model you have Mel :blush: , any chance of a pic with the awning up as a reminder, ta if you can.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. Don’t have a pic, but it’s an Xlplore 302 with a Vango Rapide II 250 awning. Will have to take a photo.
Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Dunno what is going on but when posting it is coming up twice. Tried to edit the second post to “duplicate post” but it changed the first post as well.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have not previously seen this article, and it is a well argued case, and concurs with my own thinking in most respects.
A good article. Amazed that at the end the NTTA state that the Clubs recommendation fir 85% is based on giving a good power to weight ratio. I fail to see where anything to do with weights has a link to power to weight ratio. My Pajero 2.8 SWB had low power but heavy weight and oodles of torque. So the relationship between kerbweight and power is fatuous.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A good article. Amazed that at the end the NTTA state that the Clubs recommendation fir 85% is based on giving a good power to weight ratio. I fail to see where anything to do with weights has a link to power to weight ratio. My Pajero 2.8 SWB had low power but heavy weight and oodles of torque. So the relationship between kerbweight and power is fatuous.

It's still power that gets you over the hill, not torque though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts