Towing mirrors

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
With the extended wing mirrors when towing my caravan, I would like stick silver reflective strips on the back of them, to warn on coming traffic, especially at night. Am I breaking the law if I do this.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Donald, I don't know about silver, but after we were side-swiped by a post van in the Highlands, several years ago, my husband put yellow stripes across the back of the towing mirrors (making black & yellow stripes). They are very visible to oncoming traffic.

Mrs Meals on Wheels

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
Now that is another good idea, but I am not so sure about yellow facing the front, that is why I was thinking of silver or white. As I live up on the Isle-of-Lewis I better keep my eye out for postmen, they are a dangerous breed

Donald

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Now that is another good idea, but I am not so sure about yellow facing the front, that is why I was thinking of silver or white. As I live up on the Isle-of-Lewis I better keep my eye out for postmen, they are a dangerous breed

Donald
The one that hit us as he passed us 'hell for leather' was! It was a single track road, we saw him coming in the distance, so pulled in to a large passing place and he hit the mirror as he flew past, glass flying everywhere - and he never stopped, he was gone.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I use reflective tape, roughly the same colour as the front number plate. Can't remember where I got it from but have used it on various mirrors for over 20 years now.

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the overall width with the extended mirrors exceeds 50cm than the width of the car, forward facing reflectors are actually a legal requirement in Norway.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Donald, can I ask did you work for BT and then become a trucker? I knew a Donald from Lewis who drove for Blytheswood charity done to Romania.

Brian.

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi Donald, can I ask did you work for BT and then become a trucker? I knew a Donald from Lewis who drove for Blytheswood charity done to Romania.

Brian.
Hi Brian

No but I will find out. I drove for a local bus company and they went with a bus load of stuff for Blythswood to Romania.

I have silver reflective strip, the kind they put on police cars and I think I will stick it on my mirrors before I drive all the way to Devon/Cornwall. Does anybody know any good overnight stops on the way

Donald

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
The one that hit us as he passed us 'hell for leather' was! It was a single track road, we saw him coming in the distance, so pulled in to a large passing place and he hit the mirror as he flew past, glass flying everywhere - and he never stopped, he was gone.
Hi Meals on wheels

As I said a dangerous breed, always in a hurry, driving hell for leather, it is easily seen that they are not driving there own wagons

Donald

May 4, 2005
Visit site

Brian.
Thanks Donald, the other Donald was BT engineer on Lewis but bought a lorry and was doing runs out to europe. Blythswood guys used to stop over at my house and also transport for the charity that my ex wife ran.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
To the best of my knowlege, there is no law saying that you cannot show yellow reflective tape to the front of your vehicle.

National Express run the local bus service in Brum, they have large yellow spots on their mirrors.

I have red & yellow stripes on my mirrors

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
Thank you all for your help, that has put my mind at ease, seeing I have leftover police reflective silver remnants that the local garage was going to dispose of, I should be safe enough with that

Thanks again for the advice

Donald

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Choose your colour carefully - red or red/yellow is normally used on the rear of vehicles and might confuse on coming drivers.

Use white, silver or yellow.

Jan 30, 2008
Visit site
Ive just bought some of the new Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. They have white round reflectors already on them. Absolutly superb mirrors. You can see everything. Iam very pleased with them.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
snap Freddie we had ours delivered yesterday and they look great, had trouble getting them but the caravan shop Glasgow online sorted us out I must say really great service

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts