Towing Mirrors

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Having just changed my car, I've now got indicator repeaters in the door mirrors. My old towing mirrors are the type that are attached by two rubber straps and one of them will partially obscure the indicator repeater.

My question is does anyone know if this acceptable or do I need new mirrors?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
This is a question to which only the car manufacturer can give a definitive answer. There are certain legal requirements regarding the minimum angle of visibility of lights, including the indicators. Usually these requirements are met even without side repeaters (on many models they were added only as an added feature during a recent facelifts), in which case there would not be a problem if the towing mirrors obliterate the repeaters in whole or in part. However, there may be the odd exception, and this is where you would have to ask the manufacturer if you are really concerned and want a definitive answer. My guess is, though, that probably in 99% of all cases the towing mirrors will not be a problem.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the response Lutz. I did wonder if it was a case of if it's there, it must be visible. I think from an MOT point of view, if it didn't work it would be a failure. I'll see if my dealer can give me any further info.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Side repeaters MUST be fitted, identifiable as such and vivisable from the rear of the vehicle at a distance of 1m from the side of the vehicle. They should be between 1 & 2 m from the ground although there are approved exceptions to the height for certain vehicles (Lotus 7 for example).

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A side repeater is NOT required if the front indicator lamp has a wrap-around lens. Hence my comment about it being best to check with the manufacturer.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Correct we have some stupid laws here but the fact is, if it's fitted then it must work and fit for purpose if you obscure it then it's not fit for purpose.

Dirty lights are another; you can be prosecuted for mud or dirt obscuring any warning lights and indicators.

Try driving around in winter with dirty headlights great excuse for our police to give you a pull especially around Christmas time

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS