Towing mirrors

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I need to acquire some towing mirrors I was thinking about Milenco Grand Aero would like to hear from existing owners or any other recommendations. I am desperate not to buy the wrong ones, particularly where fit is concerned.

Pete

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When I bought mine I was offered different pads from normal
Aero F Pads, Product code: 4664
The Aero F Pads have twin grooves for enhanced grip on typically VW group cars (Audi, Seat and Skoda) post 2013.
For the Vauxhall/Opel Astra 2016 models use the Aero 3 Mirrors and F Pads. see image

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Had them for 2 generations of the Hyundai Santa Fe. Now on 3rd current generation and they do not fit.
Moral of story is check fit first - if they fit they are a good mirror.

Having said that my current mirrors are maybe 1/3 smaller in glass area and still give a good view. Not at all concerned and, in fact, not convinced size is everything!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
When I bought mine I was offered different pads from normal
Aero F Pads, Product code: 4664
The Aero F Pads have twin grooves for enhanced grip on typically VW group cars (Audi, Seat and Skoda) post 2013.
[snip]

Agreed per the ridged pads. I got the same - by accident - when we lost one pad of our mirrors and replacements only come in fours! The difference in terms of mirror stability is amazing.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Milenco Grand Aero as we tow a 8' wide caravan. No vibration and we have the updated pads which hold the mirrors securely.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have just replaced the old towing mirrors with new Milencos. The old ones were cheap ones that strapped on after I found my previous Milencos would not stay on the new car. Milenco have now produced new pads which do work, but being cautious I asked the dealer if I could try a pair and found that they had samples on their display which they let mem try out. Personally I would suggest you do this just to be happy before you buy as they are not cheap.
The new ones do not vibrate although I am not sure if this is more the cars mirrors being more sturdy as they did vibrate on the last car.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Had them for 2 generations of the Hyundai Santa Fe. Now on 3rd current generation and they do not fit.
Moral of story is check fit first - if they fit they are a good mirror.

Having said that my current mirrors are maybe 1/3 smaller in glass area and still give a good view. Not at all concerned and, in fact, not convinced size is everything!
I have had the Grand Aero on my 2 Santa Fe's, with the second one, I fitted the wedge feet, but with the wedge the other way around. Grips really well.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I have had the Grand Aero on my 2 Santa Fe's, with the second one, I fitted the wedge feet, but with the wedge the other way around. Grips really well.

You're right , I suspect I could have bought new mounts for my old Grand Aeros but they were approaching the end of their life. The swivel on the rear that they are mounted to was split and I could anticipate them flying away whilst towing.

As a matter of fact my replacement mirrors, although smaller, were folded against the drivers side of the Santa Fe when a lorry came towards me at speed. The "bow wave" was enough to fold back the mirror and that's with 1/3 smaller surface than the Grand Aeros.

I'm sure we've all felt the wind resistance at 60 mph if you pop your hand out of the car window. Have to wonder how much resistance the large Grand Aeros create - probably insignificant compared with the caravan but nevertheless real.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I prefer the shape of the Grand Aeros which came out a year or so ago. Any preferences on convex or flat glass?
I‘m tempted to swap my originals

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I paid £179.9 at Morrisons in Norwich today, less 5p a litre using a voucher we got last week for spending more than £40 in store.
It still hurt - for the first time ever i paid in total over £100 for the fill up ! :fearful:
You're right , I suspect I could have bought new mounts for my old Grand Aeros but they were approaching the end of their life. The swivel on the rear that they are mounted to was split and I could anticipate them flying away whilst towing.

As a matter of fact my replacement mirrors, although smaller, were folded against the drivers side of the Santa Fe when a lorry came towards me at speed. The "bow wave" was enough to fold back the mirror and that's with 1/3 smaller surface than the Grand Aeros.

I'm sure we've all felt the wind resistance at 60 mph if you pop your hand out of the car window. Have to wonder how much resistance the large Grand Aeros create - probably insignificant compared with the caravan but nevertheless real.
If you increase the wind resistance then you use more fuel and the Grand Aeros must do that and even the weight has a cost. I think though the difference is so small you will not be able to detect it.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've had one of those vouchers but never been close to £179.9 for a fill.
You must have an enormous tank ?
From memory I think around £110 was the most I've ever paid - and that was some time ago when prices were higher.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've had one of those vouchers but never been close to £179.9 for a fill.
You must have an enormous tank ?
From memory I think around £110 was the most I've ever paid - and that was some time ago when prices were higher.
Are you posting in the correct thread as this is about towing mirrors? I think there is a glitch in the system? However a £179.90 to fill a tank as you say, it must be an enormous tank and well over 90 litres.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Are you posting in the correct thread as this is about towing mirrors? I think there is a glitch in the system? However a £179.90 to fill a tank as you say, it must be an enormous tank and well over 90 litres.

Oh Dear!
Apologies. Wonder how I managed that. Presume had another post open that was about consumption.
That's what happens when you have 3 monitors and multi-task frequently!
But yep, as you say, an enormous tank!

Reactions: RogerL and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer the shape of the Grand Aeros which came out a year or so ago. Any preferences on convex or flat glass?
I‘m tempted to swap my originals
For my various Milenco mirrors I preferred flat on the drivers side and convex on the nearside. Fine for Britain and better for Europe as the copilot was invariably asleep.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty Dog,
I need to acquire some towing mirrors I was thinking about Milenco Grand Aero would like to hear from existing owners or any other recommendations. I am desperate not to buy the wrong ones, particularly where fit is concerned.

Pete
The Grand Aero are fantastic, slightly shaky at Towing speed. But I have had them for years. I change my original " flat grips" to the wedge type for my Santa Fe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirror-V-P...ocphy=1006933&hvtargid=pla-563002900462&psc=1

them around to fit better. Best mirror for the price.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did find the shake was a problem when he mirrors were attached to the top of the mirror frame but far better when fixed to the bottom. It may not work for everyone though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts