Towing problem - 'lurching'

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

Just bought out first caravan which is a 1 year old Coachman Amara 380/2, our car is a Honda Accord Tourer, so the car to caravan ratio is about 81%.

We decided to take it out for a run today just to get used to things before we go away in a few weeks time.

All went OK apart from the fact that there was a strange 'lurching' sensation, it felt like the caravan brakes were being gently applied intermittently. I had the brake away cable connected but I'm pretty sure it wasn't connected too tightly or catching on anything.

Any one out there got any suggestions of things I need to check?

Thanks

Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I would check the drawbar. This is part just after the bit which you connect on the towbar. It it usually covered by a ribbed rubber gaiter. If this part needs servicing it could be too soft causing the brakes to be applied momenteraly over bumps etc. I had a similar problem on my old caravan. This devices controls when the brakes are applied by using a sping mechanism effectivly pressing against the tow hook causing the brakes to applied. If the spring or mechanism needs adjusting then all sorts of issues can arise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If this is your first caravan, you will appreciate that towing one is going to feel very strange to start out with. If the stabiliser pads built into the tow hitch are in good condition, and your breakaway cable isn't tight, then I'm sure you'll find that, after a couple of hundred miles or so, you're far more comfortable with it.

The most important thing to remember is. Don't exceed your own capabilities at first. Like everything else, towing a caravan can feel very strange at first, and needs practice and experience. Don't run before you can walk, and I mean that in the kindest way.

Never go too fast down hills, watch out for high sided vehicles overtaking, which can cause a suction effect, and beware of cross winds on exposed sections of roads, particularly going over bridges. NEVER go at a speed where you don't feel comfortable. Better to get there a bit late, than wreck your caravan, car and even yourself.

If you really think there IS a fault, then go to your nearest dealer and get it checked out for peace of mind.

You'll be fine. just go steady.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It sounds as though the drawbar is suffering from stick-slip and could therefore do with greasing the fore/aft movement that actuates the overrun brake. Have a dealer check it.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi john,

You say you took it out for a run,did you load it up as if you were going away? it sounds to me as if your van was nose light,I used to get the same thing when I emptied the van to go back into storage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another chck is to test the damper on the hitch. If this has failed, the van will "catch up" with the car too easily and apply the van brakes, giving a snatching or lurching sensation.

With the van unhitched, push the hitch straight back towards the van, compressing the rubber gaiter (which you can see) and the damper (which you can't). This should be fairly difficulty. Once you have it compressed, let go. The hitch should slowly move forward (away from the van) and go back to where it started from. If it remains in the compressed position, then the damper has failed or stuck - either way needs attention. If you can push it in easily this too indicates a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure there is anything wrong here - when towing something as heavy as a caravan for the first time the behaviour of the car will always appear strange. The lurching sensation could just be because of the heavy weight hanging off the towball - which gives an unnatural feel to the cars handling. Sure go ahead and check everything - don't be surprised if all is OK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts