Towing restrictions in europe

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I have just noticed that there are restrictions on towing faster than 80km/h on the German autobahn, are their any other restrictions anywhere else in europe specifically france/belgium/luxembourg /switzerland and italy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Percy

80kms is quite a common towing speed in Europe. France and Belgium and funnily enough the uK are the odd ones out. It is possible to submit your caravan to a test in Germany to obtain the Tempo 100 which allows the faster towing speed of 100kms. However your caravan must meet certain standards which include the use of a hitch stabiliser and must have shock absorbers fitted and tyres must be less than a certain age. I understand that the Dutch may be in the process of increasing their towing speed slightly.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 80km/h speed limit is not a restriction. It is the standard speed limit throughout Europe for towing. The UK, France and Belgium are the most important exceptions.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I purchased my van from a dealer in Germany(Bielefeld) in November 2004, It came with a TUV do I need to renew it for this Tempo 100?. This is possibly a question for Lutz

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I for one, would be interested to know if the locals in Germany stick to the towing limit of 80kph which is below the universal European limit for HGV's of 90kph.

Is their a higher limit for private vehicles towing on the Autobahns?

May 2, 2006
Visit site
In my limited experience of a few trips coming back through Germany from the South, heading for the Netherlands at Aachen the local caravanners comply with the rules. No surprise, this Germany after all. However clearly the speed limits (and restrictions on overtaking) do not apply to the Dutch because there is a constant flow of Dutch caravans hurtling along the outside lane at speeds of 65mph+. Sue and I call it the Dutch Dispensation - I guess they had it built in to their arrangements for being in the EC. LOL.

Mike A

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A 90km/h speed limit for HGVs is by no means universal in Europe. In fact, fewer have a 90km/h limit than those which have an 80km/h one.

The following countries have an 80km/h (or lower) limit:

Austria

Czech Republic

Denmark (if over 3.5 tonnes or towing trailer)

Finland

Germany

Greece (70km/h when towing a trailer)

Ireland

Italy (if over 12 tonnes or towing a trailer)

Croatia

Lithuania (if over 7.5 tonnes or towing trailer)

Macedonia

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal (if over 3.5 tonnes and towing trailer)

Switzerland

Sweden

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

In practice, however, most trucks and caravans on German autobahns seem to travel at around 90km/h. Speeds are usually only monitored where signposted 80km/h or lower limits apply, such as road works, etc. The police don't normally intervene in sections which are not limited unless there is a gross violation or the outfit appears to be obviously unsafe.

Overtaking restrictions for HGVs do not automatically apply to private cars towing caravans, only when specifically signposted to cover all trailer units.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In practice, however, most trucks and caravans on German autobahns seem to travel at around 90km/h. Speeds are usually only monitored where signposted 80km/h or lower limits apply, such as road works, etc. The police don't normally intervene in sections which are not limited unless there is a gross violation or the outfit appears to be obviously unsafe.

Lutz

This is basically how I approached it when we were in Germany last year. There was a plus side to slower towing and that was increased fuel economy!

Overtaking restrictions for HGVs do not automatically apply to private cars towing caravans, only when specifically signposted to cover all trailer units.

This I did find a bit confusing as there seem to be many restrictions on lorry overtaking and its not until you ss a sign with both lorries and caravans on that you realise there is a difference.

David

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
A 90km/h speed limit for HGVs is by no means universal in Europe. In fact, fewer have a 90km/h limit than those which have an 80km/h one.

The following countries have an 80km/h (or lower) limit:

Austria

Czech Republic

Denmark (if over 3.5 tonnes or towing trailer)

Finland

Germany

Greece (70km/h when towing a trailer)

Ireland

Italy (if over 12 tonnes or towing a trailer)

Croatia

Lithuania (if over 7.5 tonnes or towing trailer)

Macedonia

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal (if over 3.5 tonnes and towing trailer)

Switzerland

Sweden

Serbia

Slovakia

Slovenia

..........universal European limit for HGV's of 90kph.

Bad wording on my part.

I was refering to the fact that a HGV has to be fitted with a speed limiter set at 90kph max speed.

It is probably this fact that determins your autobahn speeds in practice

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
'No Overtaking' is controlled in Germany as follows:

Vehicles with a GVW of over 3.5 tonnes or towing (excluding private cars and buses) may not overtake where this sign is shown:

277.gif

Cars towing a trailer may not overtake where the 'No overtaking' sign is supplemented as follows:

NOovertaking.jpg

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the offer lutz, I dont think I will be needing the tempo 100 this year, Im just cutting throuh germany between mulhouse and basel, As for speed of vans on the autobahns I was generally overtaken and I was averaging 90kph

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you are only going to be in Germany for such a short time it's not worth the bother. I haven't bothered even though I live in Germany as I don't use the caravan enough to make the effort worthwhile.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like its only worth it if you are a repeat visitor to Germany.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most 'normal' UK caravans don't have shock absorbers do they? So we'd have to get them fitted. Sounds like a lot of hassle.

I'm 'cutting through' Germany in August between Luxembourg and Austria (near Salzburg) and I was planning on 'keeping up' sensibly. I am expecting therefore to overtake a few trucks, but a bit more slowly than in France last year.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I did think about having the Tempo 100 done last year when we were spending almost 2 months there but in the end did not bother. I can't say that it was frustrating at all. The weirdest thing was tootling along an autobahn on a Saturday or Sunday when there are very few commercial vehicle and realising how fast you are passed by some cars!

Shock absorbers can of course be retro fitted and a a good upgrade they are to. I think Swift and Bailey are now fitting them as standard.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just in case anyone is contemplating applying for 100km/h approval, here is a list of the technical requirements that must be fulfilled:

1. The trailer itself must be approved by the manufacturer for 100km/h use (this will normally be the case).

2. The maximum noseweight MUST be set at the maximum technically permissible, i.e. NOT at 7%

3. The tyres must not be more than 6 years old.

4. The tyre load rating must be in line with the weight of the caravan.

5. For caravans fitted with overrun brakes and hydraulic shock absorbers, the weight ratio must not exceed 100%,

if the fitted with a stabiliser that meets ISO 11555-1 requirements

OR

a stabilising device is fitted which has been tested and approved for speeds up to 120km/h (this, in essence, refers to AlKo ATC, BPW iDC, or LEAS electronic stabilisers)

OR

the towcar is fitted with a similar device (i.e. ESP+)

Notes to item 5:

a) For trailers other than caravans, the weight ratio must not exceed 120%.

b) If the requirements of item 5 are not fulfilled, the respective maximum weight ratios are 80% and 110%, respectively.

c) If the trailer or caravan is not fitted with hydraulic shock absorbers, the maximum permissble weight ratio is 30%.

6. The towcar must be fitted with ABS

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lutz, your list would seem to suggest that it is a combination tested, not just the caravan. What happens if you change the towcar (i.e. replacement car not fitted with esp)?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Lutz, your list would seem to suggest that it is a combination tested, not just the caravan. What happens if you change the towcar (i.e. replacement car not fitted with esp)?
So long as the caravan has a stabiliser, the car doesn't have to have ESP+.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Lutz

I think from your previous postings you live in Germany.

In your opinion (and I won't hold you to it, just an informal opinion) are the police really going to stop me in a modern looking outfit thats keeping up with traffic (indicated 60, actual 55).

Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I tend to drive at the same speed as the trucks which are doing close to 90km/h (just as illegally) although I have no hesitation to go a little faster still for a short time while overtaking, rather than sitting behind one for hours on end. Driving like that I have never run into problems in the 20 years I've been towing a caravan in Germany. Going significantly faster than the trucks all the time, however, would probably be asking for trouble and I wouldn't risk it.

Far more important than speed, however, is to make good use of your rear view mirror, though when not on the inside lane as you must expect someone coming up from behind at 200+ where there is no restriction.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
thanks lutz

yes, I am aware of the speeds that you encounter. A big responsibility is on you even if you don't agree with their speeds.

I have imported cars from deepest germany when the euro was more favourable and 'tested' one up to a VERY high speed. Didn't feel dangerous at all until you come across traffic.

ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts