Towing - the right match?

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
I am new to caravanning, and have found it useful to read the pointers on the forum. However, here is my dilemna. Due to my height, I am interested in the Dethleffs 520 with a MRO of 1270 and MTPLM of 1400. The towcar Vectra Estate 2.0 DTi is 1582 kerbweigh - 85% = 1264, and the max. tow weight (less than the kerb weight is 1400kg.

Dilema

Fully laden it would match the MTPLM, and at 88.5% of the car's kerb weight would exceed the 85% recommendation.

Sorry for the novel, but being new to caravanning, with no towing experience, I would be interested in advise from the experienced caravanners whether this is 'biting off more than I can chew?'

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

As you rightly point out the 85% figure is a recommendation, and if you excede it you will not be prosecuted, provided you remain within the car manufactures max towing limit.

In your chosen case you are right on limits, but at 88.5% that should not really pose a problem provided you take things carefully and sensibly.

If possible try to be as light as you reasonably can in the caravan, and of course keep heavy object low down and near the axle.

Have fun

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the response, I would plan to utilise the car, and the roof box to its full capacity, especially for the awning and general luggage.

Should I expect to get any snaking just because I am at 88.5% even with stabilsiers and a safe driving speed?

Also, is their any problem matching the cars maximum tow weight of 1,400kg, or is the ratio to kerb weight more important?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There is no hard and fast limit where things start to go wrong, i.e. snaking occurs. There is no black hole that you fall into, neither at 88,5% at 100%, or even higher (assuming you are allowed to tow that high). It's just that the risk increases as this weight ratio increases and the higher you go, the more care you need to exercise. I used to tow with a Vectra at 100% and never ran into trouble but I did get into a bad snake once towing with another car at less than 70% due to a mistake while driving on my part.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The guys are right, you can go right upto the max tow limit for the car as specified by the manufacturer. I would load your car as you thought and hook up the van, then pop down to your local public weigh bridge and weigh the outfit loaded as if your going on holiday. What you are looking for is the total gross train weight which again will be specified by the car manufacturer. So long as your inside that you'll be fine. The boys in blue do allow + - 5% but don't take that as additional play room.

As for stability, the nose weight does play an important role on that. I tow at 100% tow limit and find that the 75Kgs specified by my car's manufacturer is what I need. If I go 25kgs light, I get snaking. If I go 25kgs heavey I get the brakes reluctant to operate due to excess drag on the hitch, and because there's less weight on the front wheels they try to lock up under braking.

So if you bear this and the advice of the others in mind, you should have trouble free touring, so long as you excercise caution on the road. Have fun.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The guys are right, you can go right upto the max tow limit for the car as specified by the manufacturer. I would load your car as you thought and hook up the van, then pop down to your local public weigh bridge and weigh the outfit loaded as if your going on holiday. What you are looking for is the total gross train weight which again will be specified by the car manufacturer. So long as your inside that you'll be fine. The boys in blue do allow + - 5% but don't take that as additional play room.

As for stability, the nose weight does play an important role on that. I tow at 100% tow limit and find that the 75Kgs specified by my car's manufacturer is what I need. If I go 25kgs light, I get snaking. If I go 25kgs heavey I get the brakes reluctant to operate due to excess drag on the hitch, and because there's less weight on the front wheels they try to lock up under braking.

So if you bear this and the advice of the others in mind, you should have trouble free touring, so long as you excercise caution on the road. Have fun.
Further to Seves comment regarding the +/-5%, Never assume it is in your favour. This allowance is not official, and it would be to allow for some margin of error on the weighing equiepemnt. Not all police forces would use the same figure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts