towing up hill

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
what is the best way to approch a hill. is it best to be in high gear but then lose speed chasing down the box or being in second with lots of revs on any tips app

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
drive pretty much as when solo except changing down will be earlier when the engine starts to labour a bit.Given this post and your other what is your outfit because if it is as bad as you make out it sounds dangerous.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
drive pretty much as when solo except changing down will be earlier when the engine starts to labour a bit.Given this post and your other what is your outfit because if it is as bad as you make out it sounds dangerous.
to be honest i am being to careful. I have a 1.8 vectra petrol with a lunar 2 berth. weighing about 1000kg all up

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gavin try finding out at what revs your peak torque is delivered and if practical and safe stick to these revs.

I.e, my turbo diesel is around 1800-2000 r.p.m.

Tried it out after reading an article in Practical Caravan mag. years ago. My then Austing Princess 2.2 wasn't anywhere near as good as modern engines but when it hit the 'sweet spot' you could really feel the difference.

Obviously on the flat it's not so much of a problem but on hills it definitely pays to stay in it's torque zone.

Hope this is of use.

Tomo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
to be honest i am being to careful. I have a 1.8 vectra petrol with a lunar 2 berth. weighing about 1000kg all up
"Given this post and your other what is your outfit because if it is as bad as you make out it sounds dangerous".

The Plotter - there's more than one Gavin here in case you've confusing us! I was asking lots of numpty questions over the last few months, now attended the CC towing course in Ruthin which was worth every single penny. I didnt have high hope for the course, but the instructor threw the manual away as "we could read it any time" and the majority of the time was spent behind the wheel.

Gavin - It might be a good idea if one of us changes our name!

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you are approaching a hill were it is obvious a down change (or two) may be necessary, I would drop one gear before hitting the hill. If you are changing gear going up hill you have a much larger speed loss compared to changing on the flat, as gravity is slowing you down during the change as well as all the other factors.

It just means one less gearchange to do when you need the power the most!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts