Towing using lpg

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I run Ab xtrail 2.5 petrol with lpg

I pay on average 0.56p per litre compared to £1,30 for petrol

I have just returned from a tour with my Bailey Vermont caravan ok most of the towing was on motorway but I returned a mpg of 23 mpg compared to without the van 25mpg this I find amazing to only have a difference of 2mpg

And of course no noisy diesel but nice smooth petrol with no nasties coming out of the exhaust

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That s a good comparison for the MPG, but whilst LPG is generally a much cleaner fuel, its not perfect so its not quite zero emissions, but will significantly less than petrol..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
LPG did look like the way to go at one time but it seems to be quite rare to find any at petrol stations round here so I would not be keen on it.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
My boss had it, and while on holiday he phoned me at work to go onto web sites to find some where he could fill it up, put me off it.

Thing is not all petrol, gas or diesel cars are equal, just because my diesel kicks out nasties does not mean my sons does, his Jag has all the stuff to stop the emissions. Only today I was asking him what's that bottle in the boot, and he tells me it's something to stop emissions.

I still have a copy of Neutons complete engineer which has instructions on how to use coal gas, including mounting bag on the roof, but end of day what we still want is volumetric efficiency translate that to high compression ratio.

I am sure today petrol or any other liquid fuel could be sprayed direct into the cylinders, years ago we had Bedford trucks with multi-fuel engines made for the military, but found there way into many hauliers yards, the problem was not technology but the law. I have run a motor bike on paraffin, only as a demo, but the fuel cost has nothing to do with fuel, it is all to do with the government.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I had a 2 lt. company car converted to gas in 1975. It had a dashboard switch to select either the gas or petrol fuel. Both power and consumption were about 10% lower when running on gas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ericmark said:
My boss had it, and while on holiday he phoned me at work to go onto web sites to find some where he could fill it up, put me off it.

Thing is not all petrol, gas or diesel cars are equal, just because my diesel kicks out nasties does not mean my sons does, his Jag has all the stuff to stop the emissions. Only today I was asking him what's that bottle in the boot, and he tells me it's something to stop emissions.

I still have a copy of Neutons complete engineer which has instructions on how to use coal gas, including mounting bag on the roof, but end of day what we still want is volumetric efficiency translate that to high compression ratio.

I am sure today petrol or any other liquid fuel could be sprayed direct into the cylinders, years ago we had Bedford trucks with multi-fuel engines made for the military, but found there way into many hauliers yards, the problem was not technology but the law. I have run a motor bike on paraffin, only as a demo, but the fuel cost has nothing to do with fuel, it is all to do with the government.

The "stuff" in the boot is Adblue a Urea compound which uses the Selective Catalytic Reduction Process to turn harmful oxides of nitrogen into water vapour and nitrogen. It has been used on cruise liners and some other ships for a number of years when they are transitting coastal waters. The other emissions from the diesel are particulates and the DPF does a good job (but not perfect) of keeping them under control on the more modern diesels. It is pity that the Government was so ham handed in its recent denigration of diesels as that is one of the reasons JLR have put Jaguar workers on a three day week until Christmas, and general diesel sales have slumped.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
I had a 2 lt. company car converted to gas in 1975. It had a dashboard switch to select either the gas or petrol fuel. Both power and consumption were about 10% lower when running on gas.

Hello Dodger
Having read your comment it does not seem to be crystal what you are trying to tell.

No problem with power being lower, but i'm struggling with the consumption bit, did you mean fuel used was greater or lesser?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
ProfJohnL said:
Dodger524 said:

Hello Dodger
Having read your comment it does not seem to be crystal what you are trying to tell.

No problem with power being lower, but i'm struggling with the consumption bit, did you mean fuel used was greater or lesser?

My apologies, I meant to say that the miles per gallon achieved was about 10% less when running on gas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts