I shortly take delivery of a new 5~series touring.

Kerbweight for my model I'm

told is 1810kgs.

I fancy a twin axle MIRO 1440kgs. We have two children under four, so do not eat too much into payload

allowances. Am I asking too much from the car and does anyone have experience of the 3 litre diesel engine when towing?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mick, we tow a 1300kg MTPLM van with an '02 525d Touring Auto. Best tug I've ever had, so the 3 litre should be even better. MPG is remarkable for such a heavy car - around 40 mpg solo & 22-24 mpg towing. Set the cruise when towing at about 60 on the motorway and let the car do the rest - hills are never a problem and it's rock solid overtaking big HGV's. Get the towbar fitted by an independant installer - much cheaper than BMW who quoted nearly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mick, I agree with all Mike says, finest tow car out there in my humble opinion. It will pull all but the very largest of twin axles (or it will pull them but kerb weight a bit borderline), it has more power/torque than any 4x4 save the V10 VW (and who can afford that!) and when not towing you've got yourself arguably the finest exec express on the market, and all this for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mick further to my last post, my twin axle van has a MIRO of 1373 and a MTPLM of 1653. It is the MTPLM that you should be concerned about as its amazing how quickly your payload allowence gets swallowed up! I would guess that the van your interesred in(what is it?) has a MPTLM approaching your new car's kerbweight? If you've towed before you'll probably be ok but if your fairly new to caravanning I'd suggest somthing a little lighter first maybe. Cheers Andy Palmer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts