Towing with a BMW X1

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the specs on your car it will pull about 1800 kg and then at the specs on the Orion that is only 1200 kg so it should pull it no bother , we once had an Orion 45o-5 Berth with the bunks which was really light to pull to . Was a great starter van for us .

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I haven't driven one but it should be absolutely fine based on the weights and capacities that Craigyoung has given.

My one reservation would be the limits of your driving licence. If you have a post-1997 Category B licence, this limits the maximum permissible weights (note: NOT the actual weights) of the car and caravan combined to 3500kg. With your BMW you could well be in excess of this, even towing your relatively light van. The only way round it - apart from changing your car - is to take a separate test which qualifies you for a 'Category B+E' licence extension.

I have to say that it's ridiculous in my view that you could legally tow a 1200kg caravan with most versions of a Ford Focus but not with a large 4x4, but unfortunately that is the way the law stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts