Towing with a Caddy Maxi Van

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
I have just bought a 2008 Ace Award Brightstar 2 berth Caravan. I aim to tow it with my 2016 VW Caddy Maxi 2.0 TDI Diesel Highline van. Is anyone else towing with a vehicle like this? And any problems? I welcome any thoughts or feedback. Thank you

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The van should be perfectly capable of towing a caravan although make sure the kerb weight is high enough. The recommendation for beginners is that the caravan MTPLM (the maximum loaded weight) should not be more than 85% of the towing vehicles kerb weight, although if that does not include the driver, then you can add 75kg for this. The figure was established many years ago though and things have moved on a bit and many people do feel that it should be updated. Nevertheless I would not exceed this figure by a serious amount.
Some sites do exclude vans in their conditions, bit not many, so always check before booking. Both major clubs will accept you though as long as the van is in good condition. In reality with a small car derived van you should not have any trouble as the sites are generally looking to exclude travelers in their Transit pick ups.

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi. So I think I have worked it out. The kerb weight of my vehicle is 1585kg (this is the same as the unladen weight. Not sure if there is a connection between the two) and the MTPLM of my caravan is 1384kg. According to the figures you quoted I should not be towing more than 1347 kg. I assume this is the caravan weight with no awning or equipment being carried.

Am I going to have problems with this set up? I’m feeling quite concerned now.

Thanks

Thank you

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kerbweight includes 75kg for a driver does your unladen weight include this. The 85% figure isn’t a hard rule it’s guidance and is a figure recommended for those without any or much experience of towing. With experience some will tow at 100%. At 87% you are suitably close to the guidance.

But safety is more than just the 85% recommenadtation. It’s how you load the caravan, how you drive, noseweight, suspension if van and Car etc. You don’t have to load the van to full MTPLM as if the cars volume and weight limit allow it I prefer to keep the car heavy and van light. At the figures you quote I would see your proposed outfitvas suitable.

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for you help and advice. I don’t aim to drive fast or do any real hill climbing.

I’m not sure if the weight quoted includes the driver, I will need to check. I think I need to make sure that I load it right and take it nice and easy.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Longhaul said:
The kerb weight of my vehicle is 1585kg (this is the same as the unladen weight. Not sure if there is a connection between the two)

By law, kerbweight and unladen weight are not one and the same. Kerbweight is with a full fuel tank and all other necessary fluids such as engine coolant and oils. Unladen weight is a dry weight.

otherclive said:
Kerbweight includes 75kg for a driver does your unladen weight include this.

Kerbweight does not include 75kg for the driver. Mass in Service, as quoted in the V5c, or Mass in Running Order, as it is more correctly called, does.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lutz said:
Longhaul said:
The kerb weight of my vehicle is 1585kg (this is the same as the unladen weight. Not sure if there is a connection between the two)

By law, kerbweight and unladen weight are not one and the same. Kerbweight is with a full fuel tank and all other necessary fluids such as engine coolant and oils. Unladen weight is a dry weight.

otherclive said:
Kerbweight includes 75kg for a driver does your unladen weight include this.

Kerbweight does not include 75kg for the driver. Mass in Service, as quoted in the V5c, or Mass in Running Order, as it is more correctly called, does.

It all depends on what definition you use for kerb weight, which I agree can be confusing. Even the mags often say add the weight of fuel and driver to an unladen car. But I agree that if one was to use the unladen and unfilled weight of the car as kerb weight, then apply the 85% guide the results would err on the good side. But I do feel that would be unduly restrictive on choice, and not necessarily add to the safety of the outfit.

Lutz reference:
If you want a really accurate figure for kerbweight there's no alternative but to take the car to a weighbridge. Kerbweight is not something that is documented anywhere. What manufacturers call kerbweight in their publications is often not kerbweight according to the legal definition but mass in service and the difference between the two can, in the extreme, be as much as 150kg.

On the other hand, as Ern says, there's really no need to be so precise. Whether the weight ratio figure turns out to be 83% or 87% is not going to affect the handling and stability of the outfit to any noticeable extent. It's really only when you go over 100% that things can start to get a bit dodgy, and even then only under adverse conditions.
Edited August 8, 2017 by Lutz

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the figures you produce I would think the combination is reasonable as under 40 kg is neither here nor there. The MTPLM is the maximum loaded weight for the caravan. Not sure what awning you have but they tend to be heavy and eat into your loading allowance. I would suggest it is best carrying this in the van for better balance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One other positive factor relating to towing with a van based vehicle, is that in most vans the gear ratio's are greater (more engine RPM for the same speed compared to the same engine in a car), which leads to better torque at the wheels, and that leads to better towing performance.

Also the generally stiffer rear suspension and the shorter distance between the rear axle and the tow ball in a van compared to cars will lead to better controlled towing.

I strongly suspect the Caddy will be a good tow car for the size of caravan in question.

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
thank you for this. it looks from what you folks are saying is that it should do the job. I understand I cant overload the van or caravan, and ill need to take things steady.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts