Towing with a hitchlock in place.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I have seen differing opinions from people who:

a) Drive with a hitchlock on their outfit for security, and

b) Who wouldn't do it for saftey reasons (although I am not sure what these are.

What is the consensus?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't risk it. It could catch on something and prevent the overrun brake from working properly, which would be a major safety issue. Depending on the clearance between the hitchlock and the bumper, it could also foul and damage the bumper, especially when manoeuvering.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only times a hitchlock are useful is when the van is in storage or on site when th evan is not connected to the car.

Whilst towing it is of no use at all, as in the whole history of caravanning, there has NEVER been a van stolen whilst travelling at 60mph on a motorway, or ben stolen whilst the oufit is in motion of any kind.

Service area stops are so well known as places where van theft can , and does, take place that to leave your van unattended at any time whilst in those areas is simply asking for it to be stolen.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

OT ..... but ....my mate hacked into the police radio, listened to a police chase.

It seemed a car had reversed up to a trailer horse box parked outside a garage near Pontardawe, hitched up and driven off.

Last heard of, the procession was approaching Brecon at about 100mph. Sorry, don't know the outcome.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
There's a lot of debate on this subject and yes the fire brgade does mute annoyance at trailers being locked to tow vehicles in transit.

But realistically one does have to take precautions these days. Thieves ply motorway services and carparks looking for easy targets and are not above un-hooking a trailer and nicking it.

I would not advocate using a hich lock while driving because, as Lutz has said it might foul the tow bar or caravan hitch and cause problems. Furthermore as these are designed to be awkward to remove when the caravan is uncoupled and parked on the drive etc, I can see why the emergencey services might get stroppy about them being in place while driving.

However, if you use a motor cycle chain for instance and fit it so that it doesn't interupt or consrtict the movement of the hitch, but secures the caravan to the car, then I would do so. After all, that item is easily cut off using bolt cutters or the air jaws of a fire tender.

What the fitting of any security device does is to encourage the theives to buzz off to easier pickings.

You won't stop a determined criminal, but you might slow him down and time is not what he want's to waste as he might have plenty of time to reflect upon if caught.

G

Service areas are indeed places where your van can be nicked. However, to suggest that this might happen to every caravanner who leaves their outfit is being very pessimisitic. The number of actual thefts compared to the number of users is very small and is a bit like saying 'don't fly as the plane could crash'. Yes, if it happens to you then you are distressed but living your life in a constant fear is too much for me. I fit the hitchlock while we disappear to the 'ablutions', the car is alarmed as well. If some 'jaikie' wants to cut it off, and take the van then so be it. It is insured. The way some of the gangs operate nowadays they will probably resort to iron bars to 'persuade' you that staying with the van is not in your interest anyway.

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
My understanding is that the Alko hitchlock is designed to be used whilst towing and so does not present a mechanical problem. I suspect that there are more incidents of caravans been stolen from M/Way service areas than there are times when the emergency services need the hitch off in a hurry - and if they do - thsy have the kit to do it.

We used to travel with the lock on but don't bother noe ss we never leave the 'vsn unattended at service areas.

Mike

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree, you would be more likely to have your caravan nicked rather than be involved in an emergencey situation. The only time a panic would set in is if the tow car caught fire. But generally the owner of the outfit would have the key on the car keys anyway. (I do myself).

As for securing a chain, even for a swan neck bar you could secure the chain loop'd around the tow bar (away from the coupling) and secure it with a nut & bolt, then knock (rivet style) the protruding bolt thread over to impead removal. The other end could then be used with a lock to secure it to the trailer again ensuring un-impeaded trailer function.

To stow the chain if the tow bar isn't the removeable type. Just gather the chain passing it through the lock to form a bunch of chain that woun't dangle on the ground.

I've tried to cover all the angles but each towbar/trailer would need some planning of where each item fits or stows, so just be guided and make your own system for your situation.

Steve L.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It takes me thirty seconds to fit the hitch lock to my van when it is attached to the car,so why the need to have it fitted while on the move. Surely nobody is that desperate to use the loo, that they can't spare thirty seconds.

Steve W

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's no reason to travel with a hitchlock in place, it's a matter of a few seconds to deploy it when the caravan is stationary.

Many of those who consider leaving it on whilst travelling do so to prevent them forgetting to use it when they stop for toilet breaks etc.

It might pay to bear in mind however that many caravan insurance policies contain clauses which insist on a hitchlock and wheelclamps being fitted to an unattended caravan so the time saving is minimal.

I wouldn't fancy trying to unlock a hitchlock in the event of a vehicle fire, you would be between the vehicle fuel tank and the caravan gas locker which could result in more than singed eyebrows :0)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I generally agree that a hitch lock would be cumbersome to remove quickly in the event of a fire, but a security chain that could be easily unlocked by key or cut off with bolt croppers would be adequate to scare off the oportunist thief.

One could even have a weak link put into the chain and cover it up with a plastic sleeve if desired. As long as the chain looks strong it will of served purpose in scaring off burglar bill.

After all, if you saw a bloke carrying bolt croppers in a carpark or motorway service area then you'd be a tad suspicious and probabley alert a security guard.

Any thief has one key controlling fator on their mind. Time taken to getaway with it. The higher the volume of security devices you put on your caravan at home the less likely it is to be stolen as cutting them off even with a flame torch takes time and if the next van left unsecured is a better bet.

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
being reasonably new to caravaning this is something I had not considered and have travelled with the hitch lock in place to ease my paranoia. I read your comments with interest and had not considered the implications of leaving the lock on. I suppose if the fire brigade had to separate car from van in an emergency they would cut through the tow ball with a grinder if the lock was in place ( or perhaps not if the incident involved fuel spillage). It is not a case of time to fit the lock each time you stop at a service station rather than remembering to do so when your mind is clouded by more "pressing issues".

on reflection I think in future the lock will be off when travelling!

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Steve

The problem from my point of view with the chain is that my insurance co insist on a propiratary make hitch lock to be used when in service stns etc.

I too am afraid that I may forget to fit the hitch lock when I get to the service stn so I travel with hitch lock in place.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
being reasonably new to caravaning this is something I had not considered and have travelled with the hitch lock in place to ease my paranoia. I read your comments with interest and had not considered the implications of leaving the lock on. I suppose if the fire brigade had to separate car from van in an emergency they would cut through the tow ball with a grinder if the lock was in place ( or perhaps not if the incident involved fuel spillage). It is not a case of time to fit the lock each time you stop at a service station rather than remembering to do so when your mind is clouded by more "pressing issues".

on reflection I think in future the lock will be off when travelling!
speaking as a recently retired firefighter, I dread to think how long it would take to 'grind' through a towball hitch arrangement, thats of course if grinders were carried on Fire engines, which they aren't. Also, in any emergency situation the last thing we would want is more work to slow us up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts