Towing with a pick up truck

Aug 30, 2023
Visit site
Hello to all,

Complete newbie here..

We are looking to buy our first caravan and a tow vehicle to match. I ride off road motorcycles and so a pick up truck is ideal for us. I have read many old posts from various sites about whether or not a pick up truck is a suitable vehicle for towing a caravan due to the stiffness of the suspension. The point being made was that it was too rigid to absorb the general road surfaces of the UK as well as any of the larger bumps/potholes etc. This was then transferring this energy through to the draw bar and cracking the chassis. Particularly mentioned were Alko chassis’.

My question is, was this the case and is now resolved or is this still a concern?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Seano

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was a member who towed his caravan with a Navaro pickup, a new one probably 2-3 years ago. He was aware of the various views on pick ups but reckoned the Navaro was no harder than some cars. Try searching for posts from Jezzer.

PS our roads haven't improved much and I don't think also have made changes to chassis.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have heard these warnings regarding 4x4’s, but plenty tow with them without a problem. Also lorries. But caravan transport companies use them to move vans around the country. I had a new van that clocked up at least 100 miles beyond a lorry being returned for remedial work.

You can get shock absorbent hitches, but I don't know if they are legal in the UK.

John

PS
Last time I looked these hitches were very expensive. But I have just found this very cheap one. (American). I notice it has no mention of permissible loadings.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One big issue is that some, perhaps all, caravan makers void the warranty if the caravan is towed by a pickup or a truck - despite that's how many get delivered that way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Legally there is no reason why you cant use a pick up truck, or other similar or commercial vehicle, provided the the out fit is road legal in all other respects. So Mr Plod won't be round knocking on your door to arrest you.

However most of the caravan manufacturers do state within their terms and conditions for the manufacturers warranty that if the owner tows it with a "commercial vehicle" it will void the warranty. Technically the manufacture can make almost any limitation of warranty liability they want, but I do wonder if the above mentioned clause would stand up in court, especially when the manufacturers and dealers will almost certainly use commercial vehicles during the delivery and PDI processes.

The common reason given by the manufactures for this limitation is the transfer of vibration energy through the hitch into the caravan, but I have seen no evidence of any specific testing to verify the assertion.

What I have seen is how when a caravan is towed behind a car around the road surface tests at MIRA at Nuneaton, how the vibrations inside the caravan can be quite destructive with some acceleration axis reaching 12G . But this does not mean it would be worse behind a pickup, but it is logical to believe stiffer suspension on a tow vehicle would impart more severe vibrations through the hitch.

A company called Dixon Bate did produce a "Shocklink" damping hitch, Whilst the Mk 2 unit has been given a "e" rating it has to be used with a DB drop plate system, which may not be available for all vehicles.

It would be illegal to fit it unless your vehicle is approved to use it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In my owner's handbook all it states is that the warranty is void if towed behind a commercial vehicle, but does not define commercial vehicle. Can a pickup be defined as a commercial vehicle? Not sure how it would be categorised on the V5 and then we also have the category under which it is insured.

Aug 30, 2023
Visit site
Wow! Many thanks to all of you for replying.

I will certainly look for posts from Jezzer.

I’m not sure that the warranty side of things would matter since it would be a used caravan anyway. I don’t know how long a warranty is on a caravan. The ones we have looked at are anywhere from 2-5 years old. I just don’t want a bill for thousands for a new chassis (plus whatever other damage it might do) and the hassle of buying a new tow vehicle and then a separate trailer for the motorbikes.

@ProfJohnL Yes, this is exactly it, however, if people who tow with a pick up are having these issues, I would expect to see more information (mostly whinging) about it.

As for the commercial vehicle label, yes I believe they do fall into this category naturally. However, they are also sold to business users ( which I am not) as ‘dual purpose vehicles “ for tax reasons to benefit the business owner. Since mine would be used purely recreationally, I wonder if I can have it registered as such? I don’t know.

The caravan manufacturer that we have seen used examples of that we like is Compass/Elddis. I have contacted them asking for some clarification on this point from them directly. I will update here with their reply, assuming I get one.

Once again, thank you all for your inputs.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We currently tow with a Ford Ranger Wildtrack Bi Turbo.
No evidence whatsoever within the van of a harsh ride, things remain where stored etc.
The Truck is very stable as a tow vehicle although fuel economy is a bit low,not a problem fortunately as I have a fuel card. 10 speed autobox is great.
I ride Enduros so use the truck to tow my trailer.

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my owner's handbook all it states is that the warranty is void if towed behind a commercial vehicle, but does not define commercial vehicle. Can a pickup be defined as a commercial vehicle? Not sure how it would be categorised on the V5 and then we also have the category under which it is insured.
The lack of clarity about what the manufacturers have decided is a commercial vehicle renders the clause open to challenge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No evidence whatsoever within the van of a harsh ride, things remain where stored etc.
The Truck is very stable as a tow vehicle although fuel economy is a bit low,not a problem fortunately as I have a fuel card. 10 speed autobox is great.

Kev
Hello Kev,

I'm not taking the caravan industries side in this matter, but equally, the experience of one caravanner cannot be taken as a definitive example of the truth or trend in this type of matter.

I pleased your not having any particular issues.

Happy caravanning.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hello Kev,

I'm not taking the caravan industries side in this matter, but equally, the experience of one caravanner cannot be taken as a definitive example of the truth or trend in this type of matter.

I pleased your not having any particular issues.

Happy caravanning.
Prof, this is my experience, I didn’t once mention it was a definitive example?

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow! Many thanks to all of you for replying.

I will certainly look for posts from Jezzer.

I’m not sure that the warranty side of things would matter since it would be a used caravan anyway. I don’t know how long a warranty is on a caravan. The ones we have looked at are anywhere from 2-5 years old. I just don’t want a bill for thousands for a new chassis (plus whatever other damage it might do) and the hassle of buying a new tow vehicle and then a separate trailer for the motorbikes.

@ProfJohnL Yes, this is exactly it, however, if people who tow with a pick up are having these issues, I would expect to see more information (mostly whinging) about it.

As for the commercial vehicle label, yes I believe they do fall into this category naturally. However, they are also sold to business users ( which I am not) as ‘dual purpose vehicles “ for tax reasons to benefit the business owner. Since mine would be used purely recreationally, I wonder if I can have it registered as such? I don’t know.

The caravan manufacturer that we have seen used examples of that we like is Compass/Elddis. I have contacted them asking for some clarification on this point from them directly. I will update here with their reply, assuming I get one.

Once again, thank you all for your inputs.
I’ve looked for Jezzers posts under search but they seem to have gone AWOL. But search Navarro or pickups and you will find some threads fir background.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have towed a significant number of different makes of caravan all around the UK for customers over the last 10 years using an Isuzu Dmax pick-up, I’m currently on my third.
I have also used it to tow my own caravan and as a qualified caravan engineer I of course service it and have yet to come across any issues with regard to using this type of towing vehicle.
Although the ride may be a little harsh when not towing or carrying any weight in the rear once a caravan / trailer is hitched up they become a stable and efficient towing vehicle - what type of vehicle do farmers use to tow livestock trailers or horse owners to tow their horse trailer with ?
They are in my opinion the perfect multi-purpose towing vehicle, I am currently away in our caravan along with my wife, two border collies, awning and all the other caravan equipment, the majority of which is carried in the Isuzu and still getting 33mpg.

As a Yorkshire man that is pretty good value to me!,

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Half tow vehicles in Australia, NZ and America are pickups/utes.
Only thing to watch for is height of towbar, make sure it matches caravans drawbar height. Given most use quick detachable hitches shouldn't be any problem find one to match. If you do use detachable hitch, buy lockable pin so its not detached by a stranger.

Reactions: Seano
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only speak for Bailey.
Here’s their definitive statement on the towing vehicle. Not all doom and gloom.View attachment 5439
Whilst this does give some hope, what is the definition of a "normal motor car". Google tells me 21% of motor sales are SUV's.

And the manufacturer should practice what they preach, when they say the caravan should not be towed by a vehicle with a gross weight in excess of over 3500kgs. At least the important word is "should," rather than "must"

Some of the most comfortable caravan towing I have done was with a tall bodied boxer van, with about 500Kg of goods in the cargo bay secured over the rear axle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did discuss this with the engineer who serviced our caravan once. His opinion was that the problem was with the very long twin axles the travellers had which were generally towed by a Transit van. There does however seem to be some risk with standard pick ups, but I have not seen an evidence of problems. The quoted information does refer to vans over 3,500 kg which seems to confirm that it is the Transit sized vans that are the main problem.

Aug 30, 2023
Visit site

Kev
This is great to hear. As @ProfJohnL says, I can’t take just your opinion (not that you have asked me to), but if there is you and more like you this helps a great deal with my decision.

Where do you ride your enduros? Do you do the TET? (Does this need to be in another section of the forum?)

Aug 30, 2023
Visit site
I have towed a significant number of different makes of caravan all around the UK for customers over the last 10 years using an Isuzu Dmax pick-up, I’m currently on my third.
I have also used it to tow my own caravan and as a qualified caravan engineer I of course service it and have yet to come across any issues with regard to using this type of towing vehicle.
Although the ride may be a little harsh when not towing or carrying any weight in the rear once a caravan / trailer is hitched up they become a stable and efficient towing vehicle - what type of vehicle do farmers use to tow livestock trailers or horse owners to tow their horse trailer with ?
They are in my opinion the perfect multi-purpose towing vehicle, I am currently away in our caravan along with my wife, two border collies, awning and all the other caravan equipment, the majority of which is carried in the Isuzu and still getting 33mpg.

As a Yorkshire man that is pretty good value to me!,
Wow! Another confidence inspiring post.

Aug 30, 2023
Visit site
Half tow vehicles in Australia, NZ and America are pickups/utes.
Only thing to watch for is height of towbar, make sure it matches caravans drawbar height. Given most use quick detachable hitches shouldn't be any problem find one to match. If you do use detachable hitch, buy lockable pin so it’s not detached by a stranger.
Good advice, thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did discuss this with the engineer who serviced our caravan once. His opinion was that the problem was with the very long twin axles the travellers had which were generally towed by a Transit van. There does however seem to be some risk with standard pick ups, but I have not seen an evidence of problems. The quoted information does refer to vans over 3,500 kg which seems to confirm that it is the Transit sized vans that are the main problem.
I believe all Transit vans are sub 3500GVW that was one of their selling points as they can be driven on a standard car licence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts