Towing with Manual instead of Automatic???

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
We are shortly to change our car. We tow a Swift Charisma 220. I have always towed with a petrol automatic. Nissan Maxima (3lt) wonderful, Volvo 930 (2.3lpt) Ford Mondeo; and our latest car Mazda 6. We usually go away for about six weeks in the summer.

What with this credit crunch and all that we have been looking round and have shortlisted two cars. First is a Diesel Automatic Hyundia Santa Fe and the second is a Volvo V70 2.0D SE MANUAL.

Its ages since I drove a manual but fuel economy tells me that the manual is better than the auto. The thought of towing with a manual gearbox gives me the jitters.

I would welcome your comments on which car to go for. What do you think about towing with a manual gearbox after an auto?

Linda

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Did a search of the forum on Santa Fe and came up with a couple of postings. Appart from one bad experience posters appear to like this vehicle. Just seen that the Volve has a SIX speed box, omg I remember it took me ages to get used to five gears on my old Cavalier.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda,

You say you are dreading going back to a manual car, so why do it?

I can fully identify with your fears, namely pulling away on a steep hill, with worst scenario stop start heavy traffic to make it a nightmare for towing. Will that clutch burn out!?

Also the much reported reversing with the van on the back or worst still reversing up hill with the suspect dual mass flywheel.

What are the fuel savings? Negligable on a modern car I would say and not even worth considering when you take in depreciation, insurance and all the other costs of motoring. You like to go abroad - do the ferries charge extra for an Auto car? No of course they don't - remember the last time you climbed up a crowded ferry ramp and had to stop half way, a doddle in an Auto wasn't it, I bet you never even gave it a thought, just stopped and got going again effortlessly, forgetting completly you had a van in tow. Try that with a manual.

I rest my case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts