Towing with Peugeot 307 SW

May 10, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking to by a van but currently drive a Peugeot 307 SW 1.6 litre with max towing limit of 1200kg set by manufacturer. Nose weight limit is 60kg. Both not very high! Kerb weight is 1436Kg

Has anyone towed with this type of Peugeot or got any advice?

Looking at discussions on the forum I am convinced that I need to upgrade the car to get a higher towing limit and nose weight to increase my options.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I am new to caravanning last year so bought an Adria Optima 400 (about 1100kg) to see if we like it. I drive a 307 hatch 2 litre HDi 90 bhp. I think the later 1.6 HDI's are either 90 or 110 bhp. 60kg nose weight is achievable with correct loading ie not carrying 2 gas bottles in the front locker loading heavier stuff over the axle / to the rear of the axle etc.

The Adria website actually advertises one of its newer vans Altea I think with a picture of a 307 hatch pulling it.

My 307 tows our small van fine but now we want to get a bigger van so will be upgrading - possibly to the new Zafira which has pretty impressive credentials in the 120 and 150 bhp 1.9 diesels.

But yes it is possible to get out there and caravan with a plastic pug.

Mat

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tow a 850kg (max) pop-top caravan with a 1.6 HDi 110. It pulls fine on most roads, but even a caravan this light makes it a bit sluggish on long hills deep in France. We can hold 60mph no prob on UK motorways, it's the undulating and windy (roads that wind, not roads subject to strong winds) rural roads that are more challenging.

Honest John in the Daily Torygraph rates the 1.6HDI very highly - it is used by Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo, Ford and Mazda. It is a very capable and economical engine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?menuId=2776&menuItemId=-1&view=HEADLINESUMMARY&grid=F7&targetRule=10

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi we had a 307 2.0 sw hdi 110bhp 05 reg. we were newish to caravanning but my partner had done it as a child up till his teens so he knew a bit. we bought a single axel, avondale dart 556/6 godiva special 1300 fully loaded. when the van was put on the back the car sunk and the van was empty and i could just get my hand between the tyre and the cars body. what we should have done is refused the van but we didnt because we didnt know any better at that time. my partner said it was bottoming out but he didnt tell me and we took a steady drive back to the storage.

we sent the car back and bought a vauxhall monterey, the sold that bought a 4.0L grand cherokee jeep just sold that and bought a new kia sedona.

your correct the max towball weight is 60 and the lowest we have ever got our vans nose is 80. thats putting the awning on the rear bunks and loading over the axels/wheels.

the avondales are light but they are nose heavy. i dont know what you would be like with a bailey or anything else but i wouldnt tow again with a 307 sw.

but thats just my choice.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi we had a 307 2.0 sw hdi 110bhp 05 reg. we were newish to caravanning but my partner had done it as a child up till his teens so he knew a bit. we bought a single axel, avondale dart 556/6 godiva special 1300 fully loaded. when the van was put on the back the car sunk and the van was empty and i could just get my hand between the tyre and the cars body. what we should have done is refused the van but we didnt because we didnt know any better at that time. my partner said it was bottoming out but he didnt tell me and we took a steady drive back to the storage.

we sent the car back and bought a vauxhall monterey, the sold that bought a 4.0L grand cherokee jeep just sold that and bought a new kia sedona.

your correct the max towball weight is 60 and the lowest we have ever got our vans nose is 80. thats putting the awning on the rear bunks and loading over the axels/wheels.

the avondales are light but they are nose heavy. i dont know what you would be like with a bailey or anything else but i wouldnt tow again with a 307 sw.

but thats just my choice.

jo-anne
gareth, have a look at the seat alhambras,or the old kia sedonas 85 max towball weight on both and can tow quiet alot. they say that a mpv is the best tow car.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I am new to caravanning last year so bought an Adria Optima 400 (about 1100kg) to see if we like it. I drive a 307 hatch 2 litre HDi 90 bhp. I think the later 1.6 HDI's are either 90 or 110 bhp. 60kg nose weight is achievable with correct loading ie not carrying 2 gas bottles in the front locker loading heavier stuff over the axle / to the rear of the axle etc.

The Adria website actually advertises one of its newer vans Altea I think with a picture of a 307 hatch pulling it.

My 307 tows our small van fine but now we want to get a bigger van so will be upgrading - possibly to the new Zafira which has pretty impressive credentials in the 120 and 150 bhp 1.9 diesels.

But yes it is possible to get out there and caravan with a plastic pug.

Mat
just had a new zafira for 2 days while the kia sedona went into the body shop for a scratch. very nice but i dont blame you for getting the diesal as the 1.6 16v has no gutts and drinks fuel.

jo-anne

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts