Towing your bike (1000cc!) as well as a caravan !

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This enquiry is only half 'tongue in cheek'. For any of you who own a motorcycle, it would be really good to be able to tow the bike as well as the caravan. That way, at our destination, I could explore the local are on two wheels as opposed to four!

I did suggest to my wife that she tow the Oklahoma whilst I blaze a trail to the chosen site, but she wasn't too impressed with that idea !

John

G

We have seen two Hobby caravans with rear doors that carry large motorbikes, one was at a Koblenz campsite and another in Denmark.

The Koblenz one (German Reg'd) had a different axle from the way the owners were trying to explain to others. All though the sitings were a year or two apart they seemed very similar vans so maybe somone does a pro conversion.

Have also seen a Laverda in an British Vito Crew van that had uprated suspension and a caravan behind.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Plenty of motorhomes tow trailers with bikes or cars on them.

A real alternative would be a showman's 4-wheel caravan (not twin axle) towed by a generator wagon, with another 2-wheel trailer at the back. All quite legal but I believe limited to 20mph!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This is superb; just need to find a way to get the bike into the Oklahoma !! Or buy this very special caravan !!

Question; would I be legally able to tow a trailer at the back of the caravan; assuming it were possible to attach? I would then become a very LONG vehicle !!

John

G

We see plenty of French Travellers with another trailer attached to their monster Caravans.

I think you can do it in the UK like the fairground show people but can only travel at a very slow speed.

So 10 days to get to get to your destination in time to turn and come back ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
John - you can't legally tow another trailer behind a single axle or close-coupled twin axle trailer. Fairground operators legally pull a trailer behind a four wheel trailer (not close-coupled) but have a very low speed limit.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
What about towing with a pick up with the bike strapped upright on the back?

A double cab might not have a long enough bed but you see lots of single cabs doing it.

I used to go to the TT and other bike race meets regularly and I am sure I remember seeing this arrangement as well as the more predictable van towing a caravan setup.

DJP

May 12, 2006
Visit site
What about towing with a pick up with the bike strapped upright on the back?

A double cab might not have a long enough bed but you see lots of single cabs doing it.

I used to go to the TT and other bike race meets regularly and I am sure I remember seeing this arrangement as well as the more predictable van towing a caravan setup.
Garry, that's a great idea. I have a Isuzu Rodeo 3.0 double cab, and reckon I could just about strap down my VTR1000 Firestorm on the back. Only problem now is explaining this caravan 'necessity' to the wife!

DJP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There was talk of a Kia Sorento pickup, a couple of years back. I remember seeing a photo of one, so perhaps they exist in other markets?

A motorhome would be simpler, but you wont get your own PC forum room for motorhomers here.

Just a place to sit down and have a cup of tea, that's all I asked for!

And perhaps a bar............

May 4, 2005
Visit site
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX (",)
CTpullingalot.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
This is superb; just need to find a way to get the bike into the Oklahoma !! Or buy this very special caravan !!

Question; would I be legally able to tow a trailer at the back of the caravan; assuming it were possible to attach? I would then become a very LONG vehicle !!

John
It is a regular production model, John. It's the VARI 530-2 and the larger VARI 580-2, with an MTPLM of 2500kg and a payload of 748kg and 658kg, respectively.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
I use a double cab Hilux pick up for carrying my race bike to tracks. The bed is only just long enough. a mate of mine uses a L200 and the bed is slightly longer on his but he surrenders a bit ofr leg room in the back for this luxary.

I have concerns about clearance with the tailgate down interfearing with the caravan but until I get one and measure it I wont know if it will fit.

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
I think back to Canada last year (who I believe are the masters of anything motorhomish). There we were sat in a MacDonalds in Revelstoke when we saw a massive Winnebago go by towing a Ford F350 (big pickup) with a Honda Goldwing (big motorcycle) in the back.

Awesome just Awesome! Out there anything seemed possible!!

Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts