Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The Bailey Ranger 470/4 has an MTPLM of just under 1200kg (the exact figure depends a bit on the model year), so it is well within the capability of an Astra 1.9 CDTI with a max. towload of 1500kg. However, the kerbweight of the Astra is a little over 1200kg (you'll have to look into the vehicle handbook for the exact figure) so the weight ratio will be over the 85% recommendation. This doesn't make it illegal but you would have to exercise extra care when towing due to less than ideal conditions for optimal stability, as you will probably be somewhere between 90 and 95% with the weight ratio.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew. The caravan match is perfectly legal, but as Lutz has pointed out, you will need to be careful.

Pay particular attention to loading by putting all heavy items on the floor of the van and over the axle where possible. Also pay attention to the nose weight of your van. I would get it as close to max as possible.

I tow to the max capacity with my Laguna estate and have found that the 75Kgs max hitch load specified by the manufacturer works fine whe towing our 20ft twin axle van. Go down to 60Kgs and the van is far more uncomfortable to tow. I weigh my hitch everytime I tow as even a seasoned tower of over 30 years can still guess wrong.

From a driving point of view be extra cautious and take your time, let all the speed freaks buzz of into the sunset and don't be tempted to try to keep up with them. It isn't the getting going that's triky, it's the stopping in an emergencey, as I found out first hand.

I originally towed my 20ft twin axle van with a Renault 25, which again was working at 100% tow capacity. One day while travelling the north Devon link road to Ilfracoombe, I was overtaken by a pair of cars obviously racing. However this came to an abrupt end as they suddenly realised that the traffic ahead was stationary at road works. now as they had taken up most of my braking zone (gap between cars), I had to brake hard. That was when I found out that the frnt tyres didn't like the road surface and the wheels locked up. I let of the brakes and re applied them but to no avail. Now using my mirrors and signalling, I swerved to the left and took to the french drain (gravel filled trench) and the grass embankment to slow me down. Very fortunately no one was hurt and no cars damaged. However unknown to me an under cover cop car was following these two idiots and saw everything. Boy did he throw the book at them. The copper also praised my quick thinking in avoiding what could of been a very serious accident.

The point I'm trying to emphasise is to, leave extra room in front for braking and then what you think is enough, double it and then you should be able to avoid a change of under wear!!

Towing is still a natural extension of driving for me, I'm just a bit more cautious.

Steve L.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
We towed a 2005 Ranger 460/2 and a 2007 Ranger 460/4 with a 150 CDTi Astra SRi Estate.

A fine towcar and you won't be short in power, with 6th gear being flexible enough. Stability was A1.

Sadly ours was let down by reliability problems so we swapped it for a Skoda Octavia vRS TDi.

TRENDING THREADS