Towing

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have an alko hitch which needs to be grease free, is it detremential to be towed off and on site by a tractor:

What I mean is, if your hitch is dry and the tractor has towed a greased hitch, what should you do?

Hope that makes sense.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
LMH

I guess your caravan is on storage adjacent to the site?

Ask the warden to remove your caravan with the alko stabiliser disengaged, this should help.

If the pads still get contaminated, clean them with brake cleaner.

You can test the effectiveness of the stabiliser by fixing a old ball to the end of a 3' bar, i use some 3x2 timber.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I have only been put on and off a pitch by the site warden using his tractor a couple of times and this has been because of wet pitchss due to excessive rain. In both case's they had a dry ball for Alko type hitches and a wet ball for greased units.

I would not allow my van to be hitched to a greased ball no matter how well it has been cleaned.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Aswell as degreasing the ball, keep a couple of the plastic gloves you get in petrol stations, (when there's occasionally some in the boxes!) or a plastic bag will do, put it over the towball before you hitch up, don't engage the stabiliser either.

Best regards, Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts