TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D-4D

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone towed a caravan with one of these cars? If so what are your views on them?

I believe they are 114bhp. Does this make them underpowered?

What was the fuel consumption like?

Regards Malcolm

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
The Toyota D4D engine has a high torque figure which is very helpful when towing. However, be aware that the car has a lowish kerbweight and the max towing weight is quite limited.

The Avensis is a nice solid reliable car and with the D4D engine is great for both long distance driving and towing. But as I note above the low towing limit for the car seriously cramps its abilities :(

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We tow with a 2004 Toyota Avensis T3 1.8 petrol. The Kerb weight is 1300Kg which gives a 85% value of 1105Kg. We tow an Adria Altea 542 which has a MiRO of 1035Kg and a MTPLM of 1300Kg. To keep as near to the 85% as possible we load the van very lightly. When towing, the outfit feels very stable and it cruises with ease along the motorway. Last year on the A30 into Cornwall it got a bit slow whilst climbing those rolling hills but we got there. Not the most powerful of cars but very stable and enjoyable to drive. If you had a smaller van it would be a great tug.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The max. towload for all Avensis models used to be 1300kg. However, looking at the latest technical data on the Toyota website it appears that Toyota have raised the limits on current models in the meantime to 1500kg for the 1.8 manual and 1500kg for the 1.8 automatic.

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
As I've sold the 2.0 D4D Avensis 5dr that I had a few years ago I don't have the manuals but I'm sure that the max permissible towing weight was actually less that the 85% match weight.

I might well be wrong though :)

The newer model had a higher towing limit with the introduction of the 2.2 D4D engine. We considered that model series but instead changed the Avensis for a RAV4 with the same 2.0 engine but with 4wd and a 1500kg towing limit. It tows a 1450kg Lunar T/A very well!

I haven't seen any figures for the model just released but as it appears to be a bit heavier again than the old Avensis I would expect the towing limit to increase.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I have an 2.2 diesel Avensis as a company car. I had a tow bar fitted to tow our Bailey Pageant which was on the limit. I did not enjoy towing with the Avensis. There was plenty of power but it did not handle very well.

I purchased a second hand Freelander to use for towing. What a towcar. I have heard plenty of positives and negatives but all mine are positives.

TRENDING THREADS