Toyota Aygo as a runaround??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Why spend 8500 euros converting a C1 /Aygo/ Pug ( a bullet proof car and ideally suited to short journeys tbh) when you can get a perfectly good Nissan Leaf that will do the job, and they are super reliable and even the worst will still have a 70-80 mile range. There are a few Mercedes B classes around -not sure of price and the old pug/mitsubishi electric cars too if you want to dig around. But for the money you cannot beat the C1, Peugeot / Aygo-the 3 cylinder engine is great and they drive really nicely. Rediculously cheap to run.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Why spend 8500 euros converting a C1 /Aygo/ Pug ( a bullet proof car and ideally suited to short journeys tbh) when you can get a perfectly good Nissan Leaf that will do the job, and they are super reliable and even the worst will still have a 70-80 mile range. There are a few Mercedes B classes around -not sure of price and the old pug/mitsubishi electric cars too if you want to dig around. But for the money you cannot beat the C1, Peugeot / Aygo-the 3 cylinder engine is great and they drive really nicely. Rediculously cheap to run.
Worth considering a Peugeot Ion. Similar size to the C1/Aygo but electric with up to 100 miles range. Under 5k on autotrader, for up to 30 or 40 miles a day could easily be charged using just a 3 pin plug. Very low running cost and servicing. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201121264145?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=NN12 6da&sort=price-asc&page=1&co2-emissions-cars=TO_0&include-delivery-option=on

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually, now I have seen how much these go for, I am seriously tempted to grab one!
The number of Mitsubishi MiEV/Citroen C-zero/Peugeot Ion sold new were very low, a big proportion of which seem to have been on sale as used cars for several years now - unlike other EVs the battery cells aren't replaceable as the manufacturer won't supply them.

These are insurance group 28 compared to group 2 for the C1/107/Aygo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To buy an EV that is coming up to 11 years old does need careful thinking about. It may look good but it has fairly old technology in its battery pack. On top of the purchase price, you would be well advised to budget for new batteries.
It's far from a foregone conclusion that the battery pack will need to be replaced any time soon.

There is an increasing data base that shows how on average EV batteries are lasting far longer than was originally anticipated and still have useful capacity left in them. Granted the cars may not be able to travel as far on a full charge, but most commuter journeys are much shorter than the vehicles range (even the age reduced range).

There will obviously be some horror stories, and some models do have a poorer history, but in general things are much better than they were anticipated, and certainly nowhere near as dower as the petroleum supporters would like you to believe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's far from a foregone conclusion that the battery pack will need to be replaced any time soon.

There is an increasing data base that shows how on average EV batteries are lasting far longer than was originally anticipated and still have useful capacity left in them. Granted the cars may not be able to travel as far on a full charge, but most commuter journeys are much shorter than the vehicles range (even the age reduced range).

There will obviously be some horror stories, and some models do have a poorer history, but in general things are much better than they were anticipated, and certainly nowhere near as dower as the petroleum supporters would like you to believe.

Which model of EV do you currently use and is the range any good?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
To buy an EV that is coming up to 11 years old does need careful thinking about. It may look good but it has fairly old technology in its battery pack. On top of the purchase price, you would be well advised to budget for new batteries.
To buy ANY car that is coming up to 11 years old needs some thinking about. I sold my 12 year old XC90, partly because it was too big for what I needed but also because it had started to develop faults. Drive shaft, intercooler and alternator all in the last three years. None of those would be an issue on an EV (as they just don't have them). I would have fewer concerns over buying an 11 year old low mileage EV with a lower state battery than a low mileage ICE of the same age. In ICE cars components degrade with time (gaskets, bearings, belts) and often the wear is undetectable. A single failed accessory or timing belt could render your engine dead (or at least beyond resonable repair). Batteries don't die - they slowly degrade with cycles, so its fairly easy to see if one has been miss used.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The prof seems very knowledgeable regarding EVs so obviously owns one going by his suggestions of a second hand EV which is why I was wondering which brand he used.
I fail to see how knowledge and ownership are connected. He’s been commenting on the design, performance, technology and user ownership issues. None of which require Prof to own an EV.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I fail to see how knowledge and ownership are connected. He’s been commenting on the design, performance, technology and user ownership issues. None of which require Prof to own an EV.
There is always a danger on any issue giving comments based on what you have read not what you have experienced.
Now I have experienced EV’s I agree with the Prof as a run around on short journeys it makes sense. But budgets and affordability must be factored in. In Ade’s case , 5 mile return journeys, an EV does have an appeal imo. Also reading the various reports his Aygo seems to fit the criteria.

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes,the budget available is a big factor but I agree an electric vehicle would be ideal.
She's been using the Jazz daily on the same journey with no ill effects so far for 4 years.
I do make sure I take it for a motorway run every 3-4 weeks though to give it a "clear out"🤭.
Why not hang on to the Jazz, very reliable, easy to get in and out, more flexible and can carry passengers. Plus no cost to change.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I spent an interesting hour or so this morning reading comments on Forums related to the Peugeot Ion. The most frequent comment on the downside was that of range. Apparently, the advertised range was from 95 to 120 miles. Most owners now found that a reliable mileage was 55 miles after a seven-hour charge. Also without an additional expensive cable, the car cant be charged other than at home. There were also two reports of the charging system cutting out when the voltage range went too high. But the biggest surprise was to read that this tiny car is in Insurance group 20. My C1 is group 2.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
"Why not hang on to the Jazz, very reliable, easy to get in and out, more flexible and can carry passengers. Plus no cost to change."

Yes otherclive thats what were going to do but as we have now sold the caravan,we no longer need the Santa fe so thats going to be sold as well.

I'm going to use the Jazz so wife needs a small runabout.👍

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes,the budget available is a big factor but I agree an electric vehicle would be ideal.
She's been using the Jazz daily on the same journey with no ill effects so far for 4 years.
I do make sure I take it for a motorway run every 3-4 weeks though to give it a "clear out"🤭.
I guess the question is what is your budget, both up front and for running costs. You dont mention what age Aygo you were looking at but similar age to the 2011 C1/I-Imev/ Ion seems to be about the same price (£5Kish). Definitely worth looking at some insurance quotes for both too, as you might find that the insurance is either a killer - or simply not an issue. Many of the small Ecars are advertised with "both cables", meaning the previous owner has added a type2 charging cable. But if your usage is genuinely just 10 to 20 miles a day, you should be able to achieve that at a cost of about 14p to 28p per day with the right electricity tariff.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Wife's friend has a "67"plate Aygo and she let her have a short drive in it(private land) and she likes the driving position,controls,gear change and ease of reversing it(rear camera also).
Not much leg room in the rear or boot, but 95% of the time it will only be her in the car.
She's dead against electric.
We were going browsing tomorrow but somethings cropped up so looks like Thursday or Saturday now.
Ideally,sell my Santa fe back to the garage I bought it from(offering £500 more for it now than when I bought it over 2 years ago)and possibly buy the "runabout" from them.
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak without having the "tyre kickers" coming round to buy mine.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Wife's friend has a "67"plate Aygo and she let her have a short drive in it(private land) and she likes the driving position,controls,gear change and ease of reversing it(rear camera also).
Not much leg room in the rear or boot, but 95% of the time it will only be her in the car.
She's dead against electric.
We were going browsing tomorrow but somethings cropped up so looks like Thursday or Saturday now.
Ideally,sell my Santa fe back to the garage I bought it from(offering £500 more for it now than when I bought it over 2 years ago)and possibly buy the "runabout" from them.
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak without having the "tyre kickers" coming round to buy mine.
Shame she is not interested in electric. Could be ideal, but I get that gut feeling is important. I get the impression home charging would be possible for you? If you get a chance to try a test drive in something electric when you are browsing, see if you can have a go. Sometimes having a go and seeing how familiar they are (even though different) is priceless. There are a few ZoEs around at about 7-8K on autotrader - one without battery lease as far as I can tell, which will feel like a very modern car. One of the nicest things about electric is that never have to go to the garage again feeling...

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I guess the question is what is your budget, both up front and for running costs. You dont mention what age Aygo you were looking at but similar age to the 2011 C1/I-Imev/ Ion seems to be about the same price (£5Kish). Definitely worth looking at some insurance quotes for both too, as you might find that the insurance is either a killer - or simply not an issue. Many of the small Ecars are advertised with "both cables", meaning the previous owner has added a type2 charging cable. But if your usage is genuinely just 10 to 20 miles a day, you should be able to achieve that at a cost of about 14p to 28p per day with the right electricity tariff.
2011 C1/107/Aygos will be much cheaper than £5k - my 2011 C1 is worth about £1300 for a private sale, about the same as I paid for it in 2020.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You can or could last time I looked pick up the old mk1 Nissan Leaf for less than 5k but things might have changed. They are extremely reliable; fewer moving parts etc than fossil fuelled vehicles and little maintenance needed too.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Roger I think you could get a shock at the value of your C1-I'd say 2k mileage and condition dependent even on ebay! Leafs have gone up too since I last looked-odd one below 5k but many are more! The second hand market eh!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger I think you could get a shock at the value of your C1-I'd say 2k mileage and condition dependent even on ebay! Leafs have gone up too since I last looked-odd one below 5k but many are more! The second hand market eh!
That would be good as I'm planning to sell it soon - bought it to take the short trips off the Touareg but the C1 is only doing 800 miles/year so it would be cheaper to use the Touareg for the short trips and take it out for a long blast once a month.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts