Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I am considering buying a Toyota Rav 4x4 2 litre diesel to tow my 1300 kg caravan. Does anybody use one, whats it like, reliability, etc any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hugh

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Hugh

We have a Toyota Rav4 2litre diesel 2003.there was a lot of confusion over the kerbweight different websites giving different weights,so we had it weighed on a public weighbridge with half a tank of diesel and no person in.The weight was 1520kg so you could tow your van with it no problem.We love the car,the seating is high up,its fun to drive,it pulls our van with no problem at all,at speed it is quiet and on its own it averages 40 mpg.

Now the downside,I don't know whether it was our particular car or not but it doesn't seem to like reversing with the van in tow.So much so that three times in 10 outings the clutch started to smoke and we had to disconnect the van and push it manually.I had the van checked to see if the brakes were coming on during reversing but I was told everything was fine.As a consequence about a month ago the clutch failed completely and the toyota dealership charged us

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Roy,

Many thanks for that I had come across the same problem on weights.

I have had a similiar problem with my Land Rover Freelander reversing on to pitches, so I fitted a mover. The clutch still failed and I had it replaced for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts