Toyota Rave 4 or Suzuki Grand Vitara

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I initially posted this under the heading for Nissan X Trail but have decided to make it a seperate issue expecting more constructive comments and also not to hijack the other posting

I have been very interested in the Nissan X Trail as a newer tow car but have read so many negative reports on here over the past few weeks that I am now begining to have second thoughts. Therefore are there any similar problems associated with either the Toyota Rav 4 or Suzuki Grand Vitara as an alternative.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
the RAV's side opening rear door put me off, and I saw some one in a service station yesterday struggling with it and his van. Also watch out for the very special tyres required for the higher bph versions. The Suzi i saw far more negatives than the XT so didn't even look, I think they are a bit lighter too. My XT 173bhp is great, but for the diesel particulate filter, which I am now reading is a problem with a lot of new cars. If I was buying now I would ask detailed questions about the DPF and how it was de-sooted and look for the info in writing.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I am on my third Rav4 - latest one being the 2.2 Diesel XTR. They are brilliant - very economical solo (averages 48mpg) and reasonable towing (26-30mpg depending on roads/winds etc).

The side opening door presents no real problems in practice. It only opens about half way as it catches on the hitch, but I do not find this a problem as I never have to take everything out once hitched up.

They are a little light - my van is only 1300KG MPTLM and this is an 82% match so a heavier van might be a problem.

Other problem with the XTR is it does not have a spare tyre - just a can of repair foram and a portable compressor. Not used it so far, but I am a bit nervous of getting a puncture.

Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
I am on my third Rav4 - latest one being the 2.2 Diesel XTR. They are brilliant - very economical solo (averages 48mpg) and reasonable towing (26-30mpg depending on roads/winds etc).

The side opening door presents no real problems in practice. It only opens about half way as it catches on the hitch, but I do not find this a problem as I never have to take everything out once hitched up.

They are a little light - my van is only 1300KG MPTLM and this is an 82% match so a heavier van might be a problem.

Other problem with the XTR is it does not have a spare tyre - just a can of repair foram and a portable compressor. Not used it so far, but I am a bit nervous of getting a puncture.

Hope this helps.
I've got an 07 Rav4 2.2 XT4, the XTR was better value but made sure I got a spare wheel version as I wouldn't like to tow without one and worry like S does, had a puncture a few months ago and no problem :)

Good fuel economy I'm getting 28ish towing a 1525kg van, 92% match on Toyotas weights - 1585-1640kg I've got extras fitted so must have been on the 1640 max but on a weighbridge got 1690kg.

It tows lovely and stable and 90%+ of motorway journeys are in 6th gear which it pulls easily, as a solo car it's superb as well, has a saloon type ride none of the soft seasick body roll that can affect some SUV/4x4 motors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts