Transporting gas refills on their side.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I am struggling to theoretically understand the often-quoted statement that our "propane and butane bottles must be transported upright". Carrying them on their side was common practice for years and plastic cradles were sold for that very purpose. I find it damn near impossible to safely bring home a refilled bottle secured vertically; it's much easier to safely wedge it on its side in the boot. There are lashings in my boot for this but nothing for something this shape and vertical.

I have heard statements that "liquid could leak". My rudimentary understanding of both liquid and gas flow through orifices, valves etc does not convince me that this makes any difference to the actual mass of gas that would be released from a non secure valve. If it was leaking the immediate results would be just the same if vertical or horizontal.

I accept the argument that it needs leaving vertical for a few minutes before being put to use so liquid cant enter the regulator; the dangers in that I well understand but as yet I have found or heard no convincing argument against its transport horizontally when uncoupled. Clearly I accept it must be shut tight, safely secured and its unwise to leave it too long in the boot just in case it has a trace of a weep, its just this insistence in it being vertical.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
This is taken from the internet:-

Flogas UK Ltd do not recommend the use of closed vehicles (such as vans) for transporting LPG cylinders.

The cylinders must be carried upright, with the valve at the top (the outlet connection should be fitted with a blanking cap or plug;

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
if the valve was to be blown off the cylinder while laying on its side you would see why they should be transported upright.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
if the valve was to be blown off the cylinder while laying on its side you would see why they should be transported upright.
I have see what happens with air bottles losing a valve and seriously cant see that being "up right" would make a whole lot of difference to the outcome.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
With forklift trucks the cylinder is on it's side; although there is a "right way up"! They are special cylinders, so there must be a reason.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

When I go for a refill I move the passenger seat forward, stand the bottle behind it and then move the seat back to wedge the bottle in place. That way it stays upright, and can't move and should I have an accident it is reasonably secure. Depending on the condition of the cylinder I some times stand it in a bin bag so as to protect the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The conventional LPG bottle used for caravans is also known as a vapour take of bottle. This means the gas used is derived from the vapour sitting above the liquefied gas in the bottle.

Fork lift trucks and other LPG powered industrial vehicles usually use a liquid take off bottles, and these are specifically designed to take the gas from the liquid body in the tank.

These two types should never by used in place of each other.

As for the advice to carry a caravan refill upright, part of the reasoning, is that if the valve should be damaged or not properly sealed, only the vapour will escape. The vapour is roughly 250x less dense than the liquefied gas, and thus the size of flame it could feed is somewhat smaller than if the much more dense liquid were to spill.

There can be enough thrust generated by from a major valve leak that ignites to propel a bottle gas into the air and certainly across the floor like a sledge - even the large 47Kg versions, But if it is standing upright the thrust is into the ground, and provide it is properly secured in the upright position it is less likely to become a projectile.

Rarely do LPG bottle explode, as the there is no air inside the bottle to provide the oxidant.

IN the event of a gas bottle fire immediately clear every one from the area and call the fire services telling them there are gas bottles involved.

A secondary reason is that the liquefied gas is roughly 270times more dense than the gas. Spill 1L of gas, and it remains 1L, but spill 1L of liquefied gas and it becomes about 270 litres of vapour. In expanding to become vapour, the liquefied gas absorbs heat energy from its surroundings rapidly cooling them. If touched it can cause frost burns, and it will make any metal components contract through cooling which may make cause frost to form effectively jamming the operation of valves or other control devices.

Both the liquefied gas and its vapour is heavier than air, so it will sink to the lowest point available. There are many potential traps in the floor pans of cars and truck, which if a leak were present will rapidly fill with enough gas vapour to produce a potential explosive mixture (Roughly 10% gas to 90% air).

1 Litre of liquefied gas has enough fuel energy, which if released as an explosion is enough to blow the windows out of a car and may even rip the roof open.

Do Not Mess with LPG. Use it properly and it is a very good fuel, but if misused it is potentially very dangerous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts