Transverse Beds. Plus & Neg ??

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
G,Day Fellow Poms

Tony here in Brisbane Australia, have not been on the forum for a while so please be kind to me.

As some may remember on my last visit back to the UK 3yrs ago I bought a 2008 Sterling Eccles Onyx Elite (with silver sides) and had it shipped to Brisbane Australia, we have now had the van for over 2yrs and enjoyed it so much but my lil lady no longer wants this model which has the fixed bed in the rear right corner of the van as she now wants something like the Swift Conqueror 645 with the transverse bed and larger fridge however it is a tad heavier and would be pushing the towing limit of my Santa Fe Turbo diesel, then there is the single axle Swift Challenger 580 still with the transverse bed but on a single axle but has the smaller fridge which we could live with.

My question is are these transverse style beds the way to go or is the full bed coming straight out of the rear of the van pointing forward a better option.?

I cant justify getting the twin wheeler with extra weight and price just to have a larger fridge ?

What other makes/models are out there that I could be looking at with similar outlays.

Once we decide we will have it shipped out the same way as the last one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tony
Brisbane, Australia.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If you don't want to be cuddling every night in the hot Australian weather have you considered fixed single beds? Means both persons have access the the central aisle. You still have the choice of making up the front double for those intimate moments. ;)

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Auspom said:
G,Day Fellow Poms

Tony here in Brisbane Australia, have not been on the forum for a while so please be kind to me.

As some may remember on my last visit back to the UK 3yrs ago I bought a 2008 Sterling Eccles Onyx Elite (with silver sides) and had it shipped to Brisbane Australia, we have now had the van for over 2yrs and enjoyed it so much but my lil lady no longer wants this model which has the fixed bed in the rear right corner of the van as she now wants something like the Swift Conqueror 645 with the transverse bed and larger fridge however it is a tad heavier and would be pushing the towing limit of my Santa Fe Turbo diesel, then there is the single axle Swift Challenger 580 still with the transverse bed but on a single axle but has the smaller fridge which we could live with.

My question is are these transverse style beds the way to go or is the full bed coming straight out of the rear of the van pointing forward a better option.?

I cant justify getting the twin wheeler with extra weight and price just to have a larger fridge ?

What other makes/models are out there that I could be looking at with similar outlays.

Once we decide we will have it shipped out the same way as the last one.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tony
Brisbane, Australia.

Lunar do the transverse beds. See HERE.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI
We have the island bed on the back wall layout,the benefit is that either of you can access the bed and there is room at the bottom of the bed to move around, with this layout the washroom is often split with the shower on one side and the toilet/basin on the other side of the van so effectively your washroom becomes en suite. With the transverse bed the space around the bed can be tight and often the mattress has an insert for night use, the benefit is that you normally get a full width washroom so the question is surely 'which sort of washroom do you prefer?'

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think that a transvers bed that needs the insert removing in the morning and putting back in at night with consequent refitting of the sheet, doesn't count as a fixed bed in my book! If it was me, I'd go for the Island bed that is at the back of the van with the split shower and toilet amidships.
Mel

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Mel said:
I think that a transvers bed that needs the insert removing in the morning and putting back in at night with consequent refitting of the sheet, doesn't count as a fixed bed in my book! If it was me, I'd go for the Island bed that is at the back of the van with the split shower and toilet amidships.
Mel

We have had the island bed at the rear and now the transverse bed and out of the two we prefer the island bed at the rear. If you have any one living in the caravan with you, if they need to go to the bathroom in the night, they have to intrude into the bedroom area to get to the bathroom. No such issue with the rear island bed.
Our transverse bed is a one piece mattress and not split and if it was split, we probably would not have gone for it. I am overweight but there is plenty of room for me to get past the bottom end of the bed as the bed is thigh high and not stomach high.
BTW don't Bailey still make the Pampolona for the export market and this has a rear island bed. Swift have also recently launched a rear island bed in one of their ranges.

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
We went for the rear island bed in our Adria Adora and have to say it's the best decision we ever made :)

Bed can be left during the day as there's plenty of room at the front for daily use. We looked at the side rear double beds but as already stated, the problem is that with the toilet behind you, any guests in the front need to go past you to get to it!! Ours is midships so no problems for either rear or front access.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts