Trauma heat setting

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have the van on the drive warming up for family tomorrow.
Am I right in thinking that you get the same heat output weather it is on the 500w, 1000w or the 2000w setting.
Only ever used it on 500w on sites.
Don't want to use the gas whilst un attended.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If there is just one thermostat then yes, each setting will eventually get to the required temperature with the lowest wattage taking the longest. This assumes that the heat input is greater than any thermal losses.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks WC, heat been on for approx two hours and nice and toasty in there, outside temp at 4 degrees so will leave it on the 500w setting for now.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To some extent it depends whether you have the fan running or not. If the fan is running then the 500W setting will take the chill off but take forever to get it warm. IME it is best to run it as a straight heater at 1KW under manual control - remember heat rises so the inside of the 'van will warm from the top downwards. When it is well warm then turn down to 500W and set the fan running fairly slowly just to distribute the output more evenly.

Also a good idea to leave the bathroom door open else you will have a quite large lump of relatively cold air behind it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Have the van on the drive warming up for family tomorrow.
Am I right in thinking that you get the same heat output weather it is on the 500w, 1000w or the 2000w setting.
Only ever used it on 500w on sites.
Don't want to use the gas whilst un attended.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Kev

Incidentally the manufacturer of your heater is Truma not Trauma.

The heaters 500, 1000+ 2000w settings represent the electrical input and heat output rating of the electrical elements. Each rating will have a different maximum potential temperature rise, with the 500 being the lowest and 2000 the highest.

The actual maximum temperatures each will achieve depends on the average insulations values of the caravans construction, its surface area, and the external ambient temperature and any wind chill factors along with the humidity.

Consequently you might find that 500w may be sufficient to maintain an adequate internal temperature in some conditions, but you may need to use a higher setting in colder or more windy situations.

Because the rate of temperature rise within a caravan follows an exponential curve, you will find that by using a higher power setting you will achieve your desired temperature more quickly.

Looking beyond your current question:-

By using a thermostat you can control the temperature inside the caravan However if the external conditions are too cold. the minimum heat input setting may not achieve your desired comfort level, effectively the low setting even when running all the time cannot raise the temperature high enough, so by switching to a higher input setting the temperature may be raised enough to allow the thermostat to regulate the temperature.

Thermostats have to have some temperature differential between the turn off point on rising temperature and the turn on point in a falling temperature situation. This is called its hysteresis, and is typically between 0.5 and 2C. However in practice the actual highs and lows of temperature can be more than this, and one reason is the elements remain hot enough for a few minutes after they have been turned off to produce some heat, and they take some moments to come up to temperature when they are turned on. This is unavoidable overshoot, and it is made worse if you use the highest element power setting. Sometimes finding the lowest power setting that maintains desired temperature gives better control.

Also when the electrical element has been turned off under thermostatic control the thermal convection currents are also stopped. This means there is no mixing of the hot and warm air in the caravan and the hottest air will rise to the ceiling and the coolest to the floor. This natural stratification can produce some quite severe top to floor to ceiling temperature differences. For a person sitting, you can develope a marked hot head cold feet feeling. This will persist until something like the elements turning on again causes the air to move. THis is where blown hot air systems begin to make a real difference by keeping the air mixing and reducing these big temperature differences.

Alternatively with the Truma/Carver type heater, let the gas side take the bulk of the heat load, The built in gas thermostat works differently by proportioning the gas flow according to the temperature demands and also use the electric element to maintain the fine control. The fact the gas side has a pilot light of a few hundred watts output keeps the thermal convection currents working to mix the hot and warm air to some extent.

Hope that useful

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to the Prof and woodentop, also to Sprocket.

Christmas morning upped it to the 1000w setting with thermostat on 6, went in there about 6.00pm and had to leave the door open for a minute, gee was roasting in there, turned down to 500w and when they went to bed at 1.30am !! it was perfect for them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
. The fact the gas side has a pilot light of a few hundred watts output keeps the thermal convection currents working to mix the hot and warm air to some extent.

Prof, Merry Christmas, i thought the pilot light was to ignight the gas supply and also to give a heat signal to the thermocouple, so therfore shut down the gas supply, if the pilot light was if not ignited. .

Hutch

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Give the Prof a chance please boys.
In another world or time I think you may discover our Prof played a very active role in the inventing and refinement of caravan heating systems.
I bet you all googled Hysteresis!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Happy Christmas And I hope everyone new year brings peace and prosperity

Hello Woodlands,
You gave the frame work which I felt needed a bit more detailed explanation, And after all, why use a couple of words when a couple of thousand will easily do?

Hello Dusty,
Thank you for the defence.

Hello Hutch,
It is true the pilot light on the Truma series 3000 burner facilitates both ignition and the flame failure functions, but as it's still a flame burning in the combustion tube. At its minimum setting it will consume about 30g of gas per hour which correlates to 414Wh of LPG at the flame. Due to the 90% efficiency of the cast aluminium heat exchangers design, about 93Wh goes up the chimney, and 375Wh is liberated into the living space.

That is enough to keep the convection currents moving within the caravan. Obviously when the heater is running at full output (3500W) the convection is more vigorous, but even at its lowest setting it is vastly more comfortable to the "on off" function of the electric elements.

Incidentally whilst the 3000 series with a roof flue is about 90% efficient, the older and now no longer produced 1800 series ran a floor flue at 98% efficiency, and was in fact condensing long before the concept was considered for domestic boilers! Within the space available, it is not possible to run the olde 1800 (1.6kw output) any higher hence the need to move to a roof flue.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Woodlands,
You gave the frame work which I felt needed a bit more detailed explanation, And after all, why use a couple of words when a couple of thousand will easily do?

Yes, I'm a man of few words. At work once my boss asked me to write some publicity blurb on an item of equipment we were designing, so I wrote him a few words and his reply to my effort was "You would advertise a Ferrari as a red car with a wheel in each corner". My boss was one of those who should have been a politician, he never stopped talking and used two thousand words when two would have done, and had an answer for everything. :dry:

TRENDING THREADS