Travel Insurance - check it

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Any one going abroad and owns one of the wider vans might be advised to check the small print of their travel insurance. For the past eight years we have owned a van with the slighter wider 2.28m. Insurance was no problem, no issue with the width what so ever. I booked this years overseas trip last November with Select Sites including insurance. I phoned them today on a matter not related to insurance but during the conversation found out by chance that their insurance company is not accepting caravans wider than 2.25m. According to what I was told a number of insurers are adopting the same rule.

I phoned the Caravan Club who said they will accept vans of 2.28m. Might be worth checking just to make sure you are covered, believe the company in question was euro assist.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Some of the 2008 Swift range are 2.29m wide, although most are 2.23m - beware those owners who buy the new Charisma or some of the island bed layouts!

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
We are taking delivery of a new Sterling tomorrow so I was slightly concerned on reading your information. Have just spoken to Caravan Club and they have confirmed that 2.29 is OK - they will not accept 3.0 because some foreign caravans are this size and they are illegal on our roads. Hope this helps.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've been looking at the Sterling Europa 495 with fixed bed, which is a very similar layout to our current Swift and is 2.29m wide (as is our current Swift - which is a 'continental spec, with wrong side door). I wouldn't want to go back to a narrower van as we love the space - so I'm glad to hear the Caravan Club are covering up to 2.29 m.

TRENDING THREADS