Travel to and from France being banned

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you wish to discuss how the British government should respond to Covid travel restrictions in Europe please take the issue up with your elected representative or the embassy concerned.
This is a caravan forum, not a political bear pit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My wife and I have decided to visit her son over Christmas so that he doesn't have to spend the holiday on his own. He lives in France, just across the Swiss border, and can't come to see us so we have to cross into both Switzerland and France in order to be with him. It's therefore very important to us to know if we can drive there without too much of a hassle and if so, what restrictions may apply. We don't want to bend any rules, but just want to be sure of the possibilities.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I have decided to visit her son over Christmas so that he doesn't have to spend the holiday on his own. He lives in France, just across the Swiss border, and can't come to see us so we have to cross into both Switzerland and France in order to be with him. It's therefore very important to us to know if we can drive there without too much of a hassle and if so, what restrictions may apply. We don't want to bend any rules, but just want to be sure of the possibilities.
As I suggested previously Governments would not introduce such restrictions without good reason. They must think there is a benefit to the restriction, because it almost certainly has some financial cost to country introducing the restriction.

The process you are planning is trying to circumvent the restrictions because you want to service your own agenda not the countries need to protect its citizens. Is your plan within the sprit of the restriction, which is aimed to slow the spread of the infection?

They way Omicron seems to be spreading one should also consider the likelihood that within a few days most countries might close their borders, and if you are away from home, you might be prevented from reaching your destination or even returning home.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In fairness, I don't think many are trying to bend the rules to suit their whims, but only seeking clarification, what is and what is not possible within the conditions set.

Is that suggesting that the German government is not providing clarity and causing confusion?

Our media are constantly telling the public that that is what the UK government are doing. It’s not what I or my friends believe. But we are constantly being told this. Perhaps the journalists are just a little stupid.

John

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I suggested previously Governments would not introduce such restrictions without good reason. They must think there is a benefit to the restriction, because it almost certainly has some financial cost to country introducing the restriction.

The process you are planning is trying to circumvent the restrictions because you want to service your own agenda not the countries need to protect its citizens. Is your plan within the sprit of the restriction, which is aimed to slow the spread of the infection?

They way Omicron seems to be spreading one should also consider the likelihood that within a few days most countries might close their borders, and if you are away from home, you might be prevented from reaching your destination or even returning home.
I can't see where I am trying to circumvent any restrictions. If, for example, the Swiss were to impose a sudden lockdown (which is unlikely to come into effect now only a few days before our departure) then obviously I will have to replan my route and bypass the country on the way to my final destination in France. For me that would mean a 100 mile detour, but I would be fulfilling all requirements in force.
I am prepared to take the risk of possibly being turned back at one of the borders, We will only be going to France for 2 or 3 days. I think that the likelihood of the situation changing during our short stay in the country is remote. I don't think that even during periods of peak incidence any country in Europe closed its borders to its own citizens wishing to return home, if necessary, with mandatory subsequent quarantining in some cases. I know that Australia did impose such a prohibition, but that was an exception and Australia is not in Europe.

Is that suggesting that the German government is not providing clarity and causing confusion?

Our media are constantly telling the public that that is what the UK government are doing. It’s not what I or my friends believe. But we are constantly being told this. Perhaps the journalists are just a little stupid.

John
No, in this case it's not the German government not providing clarity but those of neighbouring countries. Much of the information that they provide is related to restrictions applicable to visitors to their country and wishing to stay there for some time, but not always in detail for those in transit. It is often unclear whether the need to quarantine extends to travellers that have just transited a neighbouring country or the degree of vaccination that must be certified (need to have had a booster or not?). I have found inconsistencies in some of the information provided.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Son in Law postponed a business trip to Frankfurt last week. Had he gone , he needed to have the PCR test and then possible total isolation right before Christmas. That would have messed up all the family plans for Yorkshire where all the family have been very careful and doing regular LFTs.
Two people have died very recently in our small Town from Covid. This thing is a real killer. Why take a risk or maybe The EU don’t view C19 the same as U.K.?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
..... The process you are planning is trying to circumvent the restrictions because you want to service your own agenda not the countries need to protect its citizens. Is your plan within the sprit of the restriction, which is aimed to slow the spread of the infection
I think that you're being a little bit hard on Lutz, Prof.
In his earlier post he stated that he didn't want to bend any rules, he wanted to find out what the possibilities are, if any.
If his son lives near to the Swiss border, surely it would make sense to enter France near to the border.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Son in Law postponed a business trip to Frankfurt last week. Had he gone , he needed to have the PCR test and then possible total isolation right before Christmas. That would have messed up all the family plans for Yorkshire where all the family have been very careful and doing regular LFTs.
Two people have died very recently in our small Town from Covid. This thing is a real killer. Why take a risk or maybe The EU don’t view C19 the same as U.K.?
Every country has its own policy regarding travel restrictions due to Covid. As there is no unanimity in their requirements it's impossible for a layman to assess the degree of relative risk in each respective country.
I can therefore only go by the letter of the law. To my mind there can be no objection to that which is not expressly prohibited and I will make full use what is allowed.
I don't see any unnecessary risk in driving to France via Switzerland if there is no need to stop en route in Switzerland and in France we will be only visiting one person, my wife's son.

TRENDING THREADS