Travel to Ireland

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have a relative in Ireland and would like to go over there, but the ferries seem very expensive.

Can anyone suggest a cheap ferry route?

We don't mind if we have to go to northern Ireland and drive down to the south.

Our relative lives near Killkenny.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Steve L.

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
To be honest you have got a few options although none are cheap some may be cheaper.

Have you had a price for Norfolk Line Birkenhead to Dublin.?

Try booking through a Ferry agent such as AFERRYTO these are normally cheaper.

What about leaving your car at the docks and going across as a foot passenger and hiring a car in Ireland?

Hope this is of some use.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately you've just missed this offer (copied from another forum)

"I've just received an excellent cheap fares offer from Norfolk Line for their Birkenhead to Dublin route.

I quote:

Book online using either offer code AM GIVEAWAY or PM GIVEAWAY from Wednesday 11th March to 11pm Sunday 15th March 2009 and travel by 30th April 2009. When booking online remember to select how many cabins you will need on your outward and return journey.

AM Sailings for only

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Ferries to Ireland, as I well know living here in Northern Ireland, are ridiculous this year. We try to use Tesco Vouchers as much as possible. The Caravan Club have certain sailings with free caravans with Stena( restricted sailings from Fleetwood to Larne and Stranraer to Belfast. 50% off caravans from Fishguard and Holyhead) and that is the cheapest I have found this year. I have written to the C.C. asking them to look at sailings from Belfast to Birkenhead now that they are owned by Norfolkline so maybe next year we might get offers there. You might get offers from Irish Ferries soon as they are presently offering cheap fares to France and they don't usually do this.

The Republic of Ireland is really struggling from the credit crunch so maybe people from there are not travelling this year.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Yes the ferry prices between NI and GB are always high compared with England-Europe and are particularly high this year. One note of caution, the Norfolk line ferry that runs from Belfast to Liverpool requires you to drive up a very very steep metal ramp once on the ship. I find this hairy with just the car, would not even consider taking a caravan on this ferry. I was recently looking at costs and P&O from Cairnryan (or Troon) to Larne (just north of Belfast)was the cheapest by some margin. Nortfolk line starts out looking cheap but then adds loads of extra charges at the end of the quote/on line booking process. It is also a 8 hr crossing on a ship which is not overly comfortable and on which there is no choice of food. You get an almost inedible meal as part of the ticket price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts