Travelling from Bilbao to Valencia - March 08

We are doing the Portsmouth Bilbao crossing in March for the first time, travelling to Valencia. Anyone know of a campsite on that route, about mid way, that will be open at that time of year. Also any particular route better than any other? Suggestions welcome.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi there

If you are crossing Spain via Madrid I would think about breaking the journey north of Madrid at La Cabrera where there is a site Pico de la Miel open all year. Its in the 2007 CC book page 750 . Regarding routes when we pass that way we have found it worthwhile to put a few miles on and use the M50 that swings out towards the airport, giving Madrid a bit more of a wide berth than the M40.

Hope this helps

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

I did the reverse journey on Dec 12th from Moncofa which is 40k north of Valencia (I had to go slightly southish to start with, look at map you will see what I mean)

This was our first trip on that route and we are not yet what I would call experienced in matters of judging time/speed etc. in Spain.

Our journey took us (and I'm reversing it for you, Bilbao AP68 to Vitoria, Miranda de Ebro, Logorno and Zaragoza. At Zaragoza we took the A23 to Teruel and Valencia. This road is very new and there is still an unfinished section around the town of Daroca.)

We planned to stay in Olite in northern Spain (just below Pamplona) HOWEVER,

the journey was on very good roads with scarcely no single carriageway. We arrived at Olite at 2.30pm in the afternoon. The following day it was a short three hours to Bilbao.

Had I been doing the same journey again I would do it in one go, especially at the start of a holiday.

I accept however that we are all different and even with the Olite stop, I would put in a nights accomodation on the return 'just in case' of problems.

As it was, when we got to the port of Bilbao, the ship was in, as were about 200 people who had had to sit there for four days because the weather had been that bad in the Bay that one complete round trip had been cancelled.

Have a good holiday.

Greetings,

I did the reverse journey on Dec 12th from Moncofa which is 40k north of Valencia (I had to go slightly southish to start with, look at map you will see what I mean)

This was our first trip on that route and we are not yet what I would call experienced in matters of judging time/speed etc. in Spain.

Our journey took us (and I'm reversing it for you, Bilbao AP68 to Vitoria, Miranda de Ebro, Logorno and Zaragoza. At Zaragoza we took the A23 to Teruel and Valencia. This road is very new and there is still an unfinished section around the town of Daroca.)

We planned to stay in Olite in northern Spain (just below Pamplona) HOWEVER,

the journey was on very good roads with scarcely no single carriageway. We arrived at Olite at 2.30pm in the afternoon. The following day it was a short three hours to Bilbao.

Had I been doing the same journey again I would do it in one go, especially at the start of a holiday.

I accept however that we are all different and even with the Olite stop, I would put in a nights accomodation on the return 'just in case' of problems.

As it was, when we got to the port of Bilbao, the ship was in, as were about 200 people who had had to sit there for four days because the weather had been that bad in the Bay that one complete round trip had been cancelled.

Have a good holiday.
Many thanks for the tips on this route. We are actually joining a Camping and Caravaning Rally in Moncofa so what you have told is us more thank helpful. Terry says he would not mind the delay for a month!!!!!! Thanks once again.

Hi there

If you are crossing Spain via Madrid I would think about breaking the journey north of Madrid at La Cabrera where there is a site Pico de la Miel open all year. Its in the 2007 CC book page 750 . Regarding routes when we pass that way we have found it worthwhile to put a few miles on and use the M50 that swings out towards the airport, giving Madrid a bit more of a wide berth than the M40.

Hope this helps

Dave
Many thanks for your information. As we have never done this route before any information is very very welcome. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS