Travelling fron NANCY to COLMAR in France.

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
This September I am going to the Alsace region of France and intend to take the N415 after the motorway from St Die des Voseges through le Bonehomme to Colmar. Has anyone been this way and is the road very steep. Thanks, Nigel.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Having traveled this route a few times,i can tell you that, yes there is a section that is quite steep and twisty ie u turns almost.

Strangely last September, for some reason was not able to use the 415 from st die to colmar,it was like the road had disappeared and the route it wanted us to do was towards selestat!

I have a strong suspicion it was due to road works and we made an error,as given the choice, rest assured st die to colmar even given the climb was a far better route.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
nigel.

Are you traveling from a port to Luxembourg,down past metz nancy ect.

Or are you doing the port to reims, then N44,N4 to nancy wide road then mostly dual carriageway.?

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
This is a very well-used route and although it's a reasonable climb over the pass, it shouldn't present any problems if you've got a decent power to weight ratio.

John M

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Might depend on where you are staying, and how far you want to travel, but Colmar itself is worth a visit, Riquewihr is a quaint old town with cobbled streets, etc (and loads of tourists!)also Ribeauville, Kayserberg and the Stork Sanctuary near Ribeauville. Loads of vineyards if you like that sort of thing. A bit further North, perhaps surprisingly, Strasbourg is also worth a look along with Obernai and a couple of castles. I can recommend the Municipal Intercommunal site near Riquewihr. Large hedged pitches and storks flying in who will eat from your hand!

John M

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Travelled this road 6 weeks ago, there is a new tunnel between st die and the colmar motorway, costs over 7euro for solo car or you could go down to gerardmer and take the main road over the hill but its a long steep pull. Its a fabulous area.

Tom

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Having gone down that way a couple of times I would go a slightly longer route but cheaper!

Go to Gent, Brusselles, Namur,and down through the Ardennes to Luxembourg, then Saarbrucken, all of which is on free motorways of very good quality. You also get the advantage of cheap fuel in the Ardennes and Luxembourg.

Thereafter a good selection, but consider down to Strasbourg, then down the (free) autoroute to Colmar.

Although Colmar is nice enough, have you considered Obernai? Beautiful old quaint town with (we think) one of the best municipal sites in France. From there you can do Colmar, Strasbourg, the only Concentration Camp in France, and Le Ligne. Offenbourg and Freibourg are only just across the Rhine.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Having gone down that way a couple of times I would go a slightly longer route but cheaper!

Go to Gent, Brusselles, Namur,and down through the Ardennes to Luxembourg, then Saarbrucken, all of which is on free motorways of very good quality. You also get the advantage of cheap fuel in the Ardennes and Luxembourg.

Thereafter a good selection, but consider down to Strasbourg, then down the (free) autoroute to Colmar.

Although Colmar is nice enough, have you considered Obernai? Beautiful old quaint town with (we think) one of the best municipal sites in France. From there you can do Colmar, Strasbourg, the only Concentration Camp in France, and Le Ligne. Offenbourg and Freibourg are only just across the Rhine.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts