Travelling trough france

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Ill be recently traveling trough France on my way from the UK to Portugal.

I travel on a vehicle that goes at no more than 100KM/H and was wondering whenever there would be any advantage in taking the motorway rather than the inner free roads, also what routes I should be getting, any advice on suitable GPS, etc.

Thanks

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I always travel through France using "free" roads, and very rarely at more than 80 - 90 kph.. Aside from cost saving, they are always more scenic and interesting, and you can stop in almost any village for coffee as and when you like, not dictated by motorway service areas.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The free roads will be a lot slower and the journey will probably take a day or two longer but more relaxing and scenic but make sure you have the route well planned as I find French signposting can be poor. The motorways will be far quicker but quite expensive and less scenic. It is really a case of where your priorities lie.
Fuel is also far cheaper of the motorway if you use supermarkets but you will probably need more with more stopping and starting so there may not be a big difference in cost either way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts